Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Getting a beginner kit

I am going to try and get my brother a beginner fly tying kit to hold him over for the winter. I thought that Bass Pro had one that was around $40 but looks like it's up to $60 now which might be a bit too much. I'd like to keep it around the $40 mark. Is there a kit that will come in around that much?

If not, how about these tools (Cabela's Standard Fly Tying Tool Kit, Tools & Vises, Fly-Tying, Fly-Fishing, Fishing : Cabelas.com) and some supplies? What supplies would be basic supplies?

However the above tool set got some less than favorable reviews (and obviously some good ones as well). Any experience with it?

Should I just get him a vise and let him worry about supplies so the vise is a quality vise? What are some options? I could go used too to get to my price point.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:38 AM ----------

The fly shop has these models:

The Fly Shop

The Fly Shop

Default Re: Getting a beginner kit

My buddy has that Cabela's kit that he brings along with him when he travels.
    I've use it and it's fine. Good value for $20
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Default Re: Getting a beginner kit

Quote Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
    My buddy has that Cabela's kit that he brings along with him when he travels.
    I've use it and it's fine. Good value for $20
    I echo Rip Tides comment. I have one of the 20 dollar vises/tool kits and take it with me on ff trips and camping. It works just fine. It really comes in handy when it's raining and I'm semi-confined to the camper.

Boser