Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    boon/lenior,north carolina
    Posts
    217

    Default want to start tying need some guidance!

    well ive been fly fishing for a few months now and i really have a itch to start tying my own flies. i need a vice that can handel small dry flies but also handel big flies for bass and saltwater. i was thinking of the renzetti travler vice. would this be a good choice? also i was wondering if someone could point me in a direction to a website with good fly tying materials for good prices and also if someone knows of a website with patterns for flies that would also help. thanks guys!

  2. #2

    Default Re: want to start tying need some guidance!

    Quote Originally Posted by streamwalker View Post
    also i was wondering if someone could point me in a direction to a website with good fly tying materials for good prices and also if someone knows of a website with patterns for flies that would also help. thanks guys!
    For materials, besides local shops, my first stop is usually Caster's online fly shop. They have a great selection and free shipping. I also order from JS Fly Fishing and fly tyer's dungeon. There are others I've order from but those are the main ones.

    For patterns, I generally google whatever I want to tie and 'recipe' and something will come up. Youtube is invaluable for learning to tie since you can watch how the steps are done.

  3. #3

    Default Re: want to start tying need some guidance!

    I have a Renzetti Traveler. I have the midge jaws for it too, which make tying #18 and smaller flies easier. It's a GREAT vice. I tie really large bass flies on it as well.

    Feather Craft is another good place for materials. I buy stuff lots of places though.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    boon/lenior,north carolina
    Posts
    217

    Default Re: want to start tying need some guidance!

    well its kinda weird you said casters fly shop i live only about 20 minutes from the store haha. so i guess i will go there in person i also might take a fly tying lesson with dave.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,848
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Re: want to start tying need some guidance!

    Quote Originally Posted by streamwalker View Post
    well ive been fly fishing for a few months now and i really have a itch to start tying my own flies. i need a vice that can handel small dry flies but also handel big flies for bass and saltwater. i was thinking of the renzetti travler vice. would this be a good choice?
    The Traveler will get you started fine. If you plan on tying a lot of flies each year, you may want to look at a Presentation series vise.

    What you should really do is visit that local fly shop. Ask the guys there about the positives and negatives of each vise. Don't be afraid to ask them what they use and why.

    Quote Originally Posted by streamwalker View Post
    also i was wondering if someone could point me in a direction to a website with good fly tying materials for good prices and also if someone knows of a website with patterns for flies that would also help. thanks guys!
    As far as materials, buy local as much as possible. A fly shop is a resource that you do not want to lose. I will let others recommend their picks.

    As for fly pattern websites, Google is your friend.

    Dennis

  6. Likes HuronRiverDan liked this post
  7. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Pinedale, WY
    Posts
    19,011
    Blog Entries
    50

    Default Re: want to start tying need some guidance!

    Check out YouTube and do a search on fly tying, you will find a wealth of information there. While on YouTube be sure to search for Hans Weilenmann, Davie McPhail and Charlie Craven. Another good source for materials is J Stockard. JS Fly Fishing: Rod Building Supplies, Fly Tying Materials
    Larry


  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Broomfield, Co
    Posts
    3,184
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: want to start tying need some guidance!

    I am in the same boat,I think with YouTube (and my wife's) help I might be able to tie a few. I am looking to start tying the basics, RS2, Zebra Midge, San Juan Worm, Barr Emerger and a myriad of nymphs midges. Probably will continue to buy dries otherthan Elk Hair Caddis til I have 1/2 a clue as to what I am doing.

    I am looking at the peak rotary vise that comes with some tools, anyone use the Peaks and have feedback.

    Also tools what all are the essentials Bobbin and how many, Whip Finisher, Scissors etc etc
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

    "Snap it" Hank Patterson

  9. #8

    Default Re: want to start tying need some guidance!

    Quote Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
    I am in the same boat,I think with YouTube (and my wife's) help I might be able to tie a few. I am looking to start tying the basics, RS2, Zebra Midge, San Juan Worm, Barr Emerger and a myriad of nymphs midges. Probably will continue to buy dries otherthan Elk Hair Caddis til I have 1/2 a clue as to what I am doing.

    I am looking at the peak rotary vise that comes with some tools, anyone use the Peaks and have feedback.

    Also tools what all are the essentials Bobbin and how many, Whip Finisher, Scissors etc etc
    Did you see this thread? I link it because it has a lot of info that might be helpful. If you still have questions definitely ask them. Don't be afraid to tie dries. Depending on what you fish, if you get brown and grizzly hackle you can tie a ton of common patterns, including caddis, stimulators, and adams along with a lot of others. Just give it a go and you'll learn. Maybe you'll still want to buy you 20's and smaller dries, but 10's - 18's a great to tie. Don't forget comparaduns too, great patterns and not too tough once you figure out tying in the hair.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Broomfield, Co
    Posts
    3,184
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: want to start tying need some guidance!

    Quote Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
    Did you see this thread? I link it because it has a lot of info that might be helpful. If you still have questions definitely ask them. Don't be afraid to tie dries. Depending on what you fish, if you get brown and grizzly hackle you can tie a ton of common patterns, including caddis, stimulators, and adams along with a lot of others. Just give it a go and you'll learn. Maybe you'll still want to buy you 20's and smaller dries, but 10's - 18's a great to tie. Don't forget comparaduns too, great patterns and not too tough once you figure out tying in the hair.
    Thanks for the link and PS this is me feeling dumb. I scrolled by that thread and thought hey come back to this one. Then I see this one and start typing 30 seconds later....As I always say at work "I have a severe case of craneous rectus" Latin for head in the rear.
    "The fish you're gonna find up here, you're gonna find; Rainbow,Cuttbow,CuttBrowns,Brownbows,RainBrowns,
    CuttyRainbrowns, Pike ,Perch"

    "Snap it" Hank Patterson

  11. #10

    Default Re: want to start tying need some guidance!

    As Larry has said check out You-Tube as there's heaps of info how to Tie Many Flies,also I think Davie McPhail's tutorials are as good as they come.
    Check out Ebay where you can pick up Tools & Vices Quite reasonably.
    Brian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. First time builder looking for guidance
    By dsmith1427 in forum Fly Rod Building
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-10-2012, 09:27 PM
  2. Need Guidance for Glacier NP
    By hipbone in forum Rocky Mountain Range
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 01:41 PM
  3. Need guidance for Glacier NP
    By hipbone in forum Rocky Mountain Range
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-07-2011, 12:30 PM
  4. need guidance....colombia
    By 60011006 in forum Saltwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 11:27 AM
  5. Beginner needs guidance
    By CrystalNZ in forum General Fly Tying Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-12-2007, 05:08 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •