Leggy Claret Bumble attempt

la_jolla1

Reaction score
Was inspired by two things - the posting on this board on the Irish bumbles from Laurie using golden pheasant tippet as a hackle, and then having the full set of his tuition DVDs with their great step-by-steps. Only way to learn Irish style flies here in Socal.

Only problem is 30 years of practise because the maestro's proportions ain't that easy. Tied this with materials on hand - and I bet that the first 100 will show better proportions, gp tippet hackle too long - it's an interesting one to learn, and the blue jay a little too heavy. Must get some blue grizzle hackle...

Kamasan B170 #12
Butt: chinese red floss
Tail: flo yellow GP tippet
Rib: UTC wire
dubbing: claret seal
body hackle: fiery brown-red Hebert-Miner
legs: brown PT knotted
hackle: red/claret Golden pheasant
front hackle: blue jay

Really enjoying the challenge and the DVDs

Hugh

madjoni

Reaction score
I am no expert in bumbles:) but I think you did everything good till you got to put on hackles.You must choose hackles that will fit the size of fly

la_jolla1

Reaction score

You are quite right!! I am working on the golden pheasant hackling technique - once that gets right, the front hackle will be fine with fewer turns. Your huchen fly is amazing!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
GP hackling on such a small hook will totally throw off all proportions. You'd be better to us a small cock hackle.

Pay close attention to the length of the hackle barbs in relation to the hook gap...should be not much longer than 1.5x the hook gap.

la_jolla1

Reaction score
GP hackling on such a small hook will totally throw off all proportions. You'd be better to us a small cock hackle.

Pay close attention to the length of the hackle barbs in relation to the hook gap...should be not much longer than 1.5x the hook gap.
Good advice! Thanks

madjoni

Reaction score
You are quite right!! I am working on the golden pheasant hackling technique - once that gets right, the front hackle will be fine with fewer turns. Your huchen fly is amazing!!
Maybe you dont have to hackle GP ..maybe you can just ad GP fibbers in amount you need and then nicely cover that operation with some jay hackle.Jay is easy to use...

la_jolla1

Reaction score
Maybe you dont have to hackle GP ..maybe you can just ad GP fibbers in amount you need and then nicely cover that operation with some jay hackle.Jay is easy to use...
Yup, that is my next approach. Tie the tippets in around the hook, facing over the eye - get the length right, then fold them back and lock in at the right angle. Thanks again for good suggestions!

Seems like it works this way, just need to get better head control!!

Last edited: