Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Leggy Claret Bumble attempt

  1. Default Leggy Claret Bumble attempt

    Was inspired by two things - the posting on this board on the Irish bumbles from Laurie using golden pheasant tippet as a hackle, and then having the full set of his tuition DVDs with their great step-by-steps. Only way to learn Irish style flies here in Socal.

    Only problem is 30 years of practise because the maestro's proportions ain't that easy. Tied this with materials on hand - and I bet that the first 100 will show better proportions, gp tippet hackle too long - it's an interesting one to learn, and the blue jay a little too heavy. Must get some blue grizzle hackle...

    Kamasan B170 #12
    Butt: chinese red floss
    Tail: flo yellow GP tippet
    Rib: UTC wire
    dubbing: claret seal
    body hackle: fiery brown-red Hebert-Miner
    legs: brown PT knotted
    hackle: red/claret Golden pheasant
    front hackle: blue jay

    Really enjoying the challenge and the DVDs

    Hugh


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montenegro
    Posts
    1,093

    Default Re: Leggy Claret Bumble attempt

    I am no expert in bumbles but I think you did everything good till you got to put on hackles.You must choose hackles that will fit the size of fly

  3. Default Re: Leggy Claret Bumble attempt



    You are quite right!! I am working on the golden pheasant hackling technique - once that gets right, the front hackle will be fine with fewer turns. Your huchen fly is amazing!!
    Last edited by la_jolla1; 09-22-2012 at 12:08 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Philadelphia Pa
    Posts
    2,008

    Default Re: Leggy Claret Bumble attempt

    GP hackling on such a small hook will totally throw off all proportions. You'd be better to us a small cock hackle.

    Pay close attention to the length of the hackle barbs in relation to the hook gap...should be not much longer than 1.5x the hook gap.

  5. Default Re: Leggy Claret Bumble attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
    GP hackling on such a small hook will totally throw off all proportions. You'd be better to us a small cock hackle.

    Pay close attention to the length of the hackle barbs in relation to the hook gap...should be not much longer than 1.5x the hook gap.
    Good advice! Thanks

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Montenegro
    Posts
    1,093

    Default Re: Leggy Claret Bumble attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by la_jolla1 View Post

    You are quite right!! I am working on the golden pheasant hackling technique - once that gets right, the front hackle will be fine with fewer turns. Your huchen fly is amazing!!
    Maybe you dont have to hackle GP ..maybe you can just ad GP fibbers in amount you need and then nicely cover that operation with some jay hackle.Jay is easy to use...

  7. Default Re: Leggy Claret Bumble attempt

    Quote Originally Posted by madjoni View Post
    Maybe you dont have to hackle GP ..maybe you can just ad GP fibbers in amount you need and then nicely cover that operation with some jay hackle.Jay is easy to use...
    Yup, that is my next approach. Tie the tippets in around the hook, facing over the eye - get the length right, then fold them back and lock in at the right angle. Thanks again for good suggestions!

    Seems like it works this way, just need to get better head control!!

    Last edited by la_jolla1; 09-22-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: add photo

Similar Threads

  1. Claret Raider 6/0
    By s fontinalis in forum Share Patterns
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 11:33 AM
  2. Vintage Claret
    By s fontinalis in forum General Fly Tying Discussions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-13-2012, 08:29 AM
  3. Leggy sooty bumble
    By laurie in forum Share Patterns
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-01-2012, 12:40 PM
  4. So here is my first attempt
    By drlaser in forum General Fly Tying Discussions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 01:06 AM
  5. First attempt
    By wt bash in forum Share Patterns
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-17-2010, 10:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •