partridge and orange spider pattern

eaglesfn68

Reaction score
hello, im new to fly tying and for my first pattern i was thinking of doing a partridge and orange spider pattern.

just wondering if you think this is a good pattern to start out with?
What number hooks should i be using?
How many flies should i be able to tie with one spool of tying silk?
what number tying silk? and should the silk have beeswax on it?

JASON

ROVER

Reaction score
I think it's a good pattern to get started on.
I would start out with a 1XL Wet Fly hook #10 - #16
Hot orange Pearsall Gossamer silk

apply a very light coating of (hard) wax to the initial portion of the silk.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Sure it would be good starter pattern, but be very careful working with silk around the hook point, sometimes that ol hook will just jump out there and snag it.
Put the roll of silk on a bobbin with a flared tip, much easier to control it.

If you have a good Partridge skin go for it.

I think Rover offered some good sizes, and good grade silk helps, a thought on the silk, you want it to lay flat not twisted, so keep an eye on that.
Rough hands can make tying with silk tough, silk will catch on the littlest of snags and fray.

As to how many flies you can get out of a spool of silk? you will get more flies than you will ever use.

Git tyin.:) P.S. Dave Hughes has a book called "Wet Flies", that would give you some good tips also.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Bumpin this thread......

Another book to look for good info on soft hackle wet flies is 'Soft hackle fly imitations' by Sylvester Nemes, the man has spent a lifetime studying and tying the soft hackle fly.
He is also an amazing photographer.

BigCliff

Reaction score
That may look like a simple/ugly fly, but they sure do catch fish. I generally just stick with nylon tying thread, and often add a dubbed thorax.

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
eaglesfn68,
I agree with BigCliff and the rest of them. The Soft Hackle fly will produce fish. I would also suggest as BigCliff mentioned to use nylon tying thread since you are a beginner. Silk can be difficult and frustrating at time to work with. Consider tying olive, and yellow verisons of this soft hackle then move to a tying a pheasant tail body as well.

All of the Nemes soft hackle books are great. Tying & Fishing Soft-hackled Nymphs by Allen Mcgee is very good and I'm waiting on my Wet Flies by Hughes to show up in the mail soon.

Good luck!

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry