Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Trying something new

Looks tasty to me! I bet a similar set-up would work for Musky as well...
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wjc View Post
    Larry,

Now it could well be that the foam you are talking about may even work better because it could be tied to the top side of the wire as well. I will definitely check it out, and I thank you for the suggestion. It has to be very bouyant to hold up 7/0 hooks though.
    Jim

Yikees! I've never even seen a 7/0 hook!
    A couple years ago I made some mouse patterns out of Nutria fur strips spun onto the hook. My thought was that the oily underfur would keep the fly on the surface for stripping across the top of the water, but it failed miserably. I then went back to the drawing board (after seeing Eastern Rises) and got some 3mm foam and tied strips along the top of the fly, gurgler style, now the fly floats great, but my hooks aren't nearly the size you are dealing with.

Larry
    Larry

I just measured these straws with some digital calipers and they are 8 mm in diameter. They are buoyant enough to hold up at least 3 7/0 hooks as shown. You can tell from the sink drain that they have a pretty wide hook gap.

They also have a generous offset

If anyone uses that really super fine EP pearlescent stuff, can you tell me the best way to get it apart without balling up the whole hank of it?

Thanks.
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

Blog Entries

Down and away seems to work a bit better than straight down, try that for a change! The stuff is definitely squirrelly though.
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Thanks AJ.

Well, unfortunately, I'm not going to get to try out those flies on live animals for a while.

My buddy has family in NJ who owns a Marina, so he headed up there with his cousin to help in rounding up the boats that floated all over town. He doesn't know how long he'll be up there. The weather has been perfect these last two days we'd intended on being sailfishing - but I'm grateful not to have had a swimming pool downstairs here. The New Jersey coast really took on a lot of water.
    http://www.miterclamp.com/Images/N_Amer_FF.jpg Cheers, Jim

6. Default Re: Trying something new

"The topwater chew is often nothing brief of amazing, which is why I am getting so thrilled about this installation. The real capturing can almost be anticlimax. We use stay balyhoo teasers which leap and go ballistic when a Cruise comes up , and the fly should look like them as carefully as possible. "
    Last edited by clifton50; 02-09-2013 at 09:58 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12