Laurie's framed flies in their home!

la_jolla1

Reaction score
I have a place in my entrance where I keep my desk - roll top to conform with the edicts of She Who Must Be Obeyed, so that my mess is not visible. I had an open piece of wall above it reserved for Laurie's flies.

So now I sit at my desk and cannot believe my luck. Thanks Lawrence - this is something that I appreciate and will always treasure.

Hugh

Reactions: Ard

la_jolla1

Reaction score
Took a while - been fly fishing since college (and that's a long, long time) and been tying for 18 years - got the desk made about a year ago by Tim Tibbals. First time I have had my own space and enjoying it.

Reactions: Ard

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Hugh: How fitting, that looks just awesome! Laurie did a fantastic job on the flies (as usual) and the presentation will make that fly tying space inspirational!

Larry

Pocono

Reaction score
Nice looking area and a great display of Laurie's flies.

Just wondering...................is there room for a second roll-top next to the current one?............;) You know how essential fly tying materials can consume space.............. There's an old adage that I'm going to mutate a little bit, it states that: "fly tying materials expand to fill the available space!"

It's certainly true for me.

Pocono

la_jolla1

Reaction score
Thanks Pocono:

Actually, I have a large chest of drawers on the other wall - organized for dries, wets and then whole skins in the bottom drawer. Enjoying your salmon series of posts and have started on that journey. As John Geirach quoting John Updike wrote - "the transmutation of any passion into an opprtunity to buy!"

recriger

Reaction score
There is one word that comes to mind:

ENVY

Ah well, give me a few years and I'll see what I can do:D.

There are rulings that have come down "from on high" at my house as well. Luckily I learned one lesson very well..."Yes ma'am" works. She granted me a reprieve and I was allowed to build a bench for tying AND reloading into the house. It just isn't allowed to be seen directly when anyone enters the room:wavetowel.

Those flies are beautiful. Never thought of displaying any.

Pocono

Reaction score
Thanks Pocono:

Actually, I have a large chest of drawers on the other wall - organized for dries, wets and then whole skins in the bottom drawer. Enjoying your salmon series of posts and have started on that journey. As John Geirach quoting John Updike wrote - "the transmutation of any passion into an opprtunity to buy!"
I did notice that your fly tying area is very close to the door..............there isn't a family message in there ................... is there? :D

Just kidding........................

Pocono

Last edited:

la_jolla1

Reaction score
Actually, this is a great improvement, first time in 20 years I have been allowed indoors..... So good to be on the right side of the door....

Jackster

Reaction score
Everything you pictures is fantastic. You have to be loving the natural light you get from that window next to the desk.
Did you make or purchase the frame for the flies? I have a few special flies that deserve being shown like you did for Lauries sweet ties.

What I want to see is close ups of what looks to be two cranefly flies in your avatar.

Jackster

Reaction score
Thanks for that, lj1
I spent an evening knotting up some pt fibers and need to put them to good use. You have me headed in the right direction.

la_jolla1

Reaction score
Not an original line - none of mine ever are.... The words are used by John Mortimer's immortal and heroic figure, Rumpole of the Bailey, in reference to his long-suffering wife. Always used with great affection.