Saltwater Pattern Question?

theboz

Reaction score
Just for fun been tying some classic Saltwater Flys. Gibbs Striper, Brooks Blondes and anything I can find or remember from when I was a kid. While doing this I remembered one of the flys I tied alot as a kid cause it was fairly easy to tie and replace. It was created by an outdoor writer George Heinold who had the SW column for Outdoor Life Magazine. The name of the fly was the Ugly Duckling( I think) and it was a flat wing streamer for Bluefish. As I remember it was three saddle hackles of different colors on top of one another but I can't remember the colors or if any other materials were involved. I searched the net as well as old OL issues but no luck.
Anybody know or remember? Riptide you usually are good with this !
If you have any info let me know , having fun with this want to keep going!

theboz

Reaction score
Thanks Rip! Have read those articles . I guess I'll have to keep on looking. If I could figure out which issue of OL I know its 60s or early 70s I'd get it. Guess I'll do some Rhodes or Kreh or Apte in the mean time. This will nag at me though! Haha! Reading on these flys is what makes the whole project fun!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I thought that I'd find it in this book, there's even a full chapter just on early SW flies, but nothing looked right. Another name maybe?

(they do say that my friend Gary is the originator of the bunny fly. I wonder if he's aware of that ? :D)

theboz

Reaction score
It's definitely Ugly something. And George Heinold is the creator. He's from Connecticutt and I remember him writing about it twice in OL. Once was in his SW column which had a full description of it and the other time in the regional section ( old tan paper section in the middle of the mag). Pretty sure it was tied on a long shank( like the old fluke hooks) and was three different saddle hackles stacked on top of one another. Might have been red , white and blue feathers but not sure about that. I caught fish on them and they were an easy tie. Just not sure on the recipe. Used mainly bucktails back then and didn't pay as much attention as I do now that I'm an old f--t!

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
Not sure if you are on FaceBook or not but there is a Flytying page there and a tyer named Darren MacEachern. He specializes in older streamer patterns and has many other friends who are into it as well, maybe give him a try.