Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fan Wing Adams

Default Fan Wing Adams

Slight variant in that my grizzly hackles weren't up to the job, but you get the general idea.

The brown hackles arent the best either, but new 'dry fly hackles' on order, so all will be corrected soon enough.

Default Re: Fan Wing Adams

That fly looks pretty alright to me! Nicely done

I've always liked the look of these but I've never fished one. It would look good with a traditional styled split wing and a quill wing frammed up though. Kind of a window to past.
    Oh I live to be the ruler of life not a slave

Quote Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
    I've always liked the look of these but I've never fished one. It would look good with a traditional styled split wing and a quill wing frammed up though. Kind of a window to past.
    When i get better hackles, "i'll see what i can do"

Very nice looking fly.. I'm just really getting around to tying my own dries this year.. lot easier now that I got a hackle pliers that holds my hackle properly... was nothing short of a PITA with the crappy hackle pliers I had before

Quote Originally Posted by itchmesir View Post
    Very nice looking fly.. I'm just really getting around to tying my own dries this year.. lot easier now that I got a hackle pliers that holds my hackle properly... was nothing short of a PITA with the crappy hackle pliers I had before

IF the hackles are long enough i wind them by hand, but i know what you mean about poor hackle pliers...

Nice work, Eunan. I tried to tie and fish a few of these for last summer, early during the green drake hatch. I wasn't very good at setting the wings and it was kind of hard to fish as those big wings like to tip to one side or the other. I couldn't keep it upright. Better hackle would probably help. At any rate, I love the pattern, such a beautiful, classy looking fly.

Quote Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
    Nice work, Eunan. I tried to tie and fish a few of these for last summer, early during the green drake hatch. I wasn't very good at setting the wings and it was kind of hard to fish as those big wings like to tip to one side or the other. I couldn't keep it upright. Better hackle would probably help. At any rate, I love the pattern, such a beautiful, classy looking fly.
    For green drake you can tie them an olive color, including the wings.

They're actually a pretty easy tie
    Wings
    Tail
    Body
    Hackle.

The trick of course is setting the wings, but i tie them in together and then post them a bit to get them upright. I bet that will resolve your wing setting problem

I think used some of the darker feathers from a partridge skin for the wings, olive body of course and and moose body for the tail. By "keep it upright" I meant the fly on the water. They are tippy, but better hackle would help.

10. Default Re: Fan Wing Adams

Nice tie!! For myself, being both lazy and utilitarian, I almost never tie a split wing anymore because of tippet twisting. I either tie wingless in the north country "duster" style, parachute, or for a hair wing, a single wing post pointing forward over the eye. My sense over the years is that less is more when it comes to hard fished waters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast