What was the first fly you learned to tie?

nrp5087

Reaction score
I've been looking at my progression as a tier over the past several years and I never forget the first fly I tied. It was this ugly flashy woolybugger made with some sort of sparkly chenile and a black marabou tail. Took it to Alaska with me when I was 13 and caught my first fish on a fly rod with it first cast. The same hole I was fishing 7 years ago and caught that fish I was at this summer at the age of 20....I still have more enjoyment tying large streamers now because of the wooly being my first tie even though around here most fish are caught on nymphs Im always willing to throw a streamer.

Fond memories lets hear yours

thorsten

Reaction score
Hello,

My first fly was a buck hair caddis, because of the low costs for the materials (I was a student) :cool:

flytire

Reaction score
unfortunately it was 30+ years ago and it is probably still in the the log i hooked somewhere in colorado. might have been a brassie but i just dont remember :confused:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not exactly sure that I have the very first, if not the flies I have are real close to the first. I'm forced to guess because I didn't keep notes or pictures but I did know that they would probably come apart so I tossed them into a plastic container sometime in 1969. I never threw that container away and along with all my fly tying stuff it moved all over America with me for the following 43 years and it's here now.

The pictures were taken with my first digital camera with no macro function. Someday I should take a better one so you could appreciate the detail in the work.

I guess I was meant to become a streamer fisherman. I learned to make many different types of fly for catching fish but streamers were in my hands & fingers from the get go. While living in PA. - GA. - VA. - CO. & AK. as the whole world around me caught 'nymph fever' I kept tying and fishing streamers. For me there is nothing that equals pitching them, controlling the line, the flies speed, depth, and exact course as they arc in a river or creek. The grab or strike if you prefer is the highlight, the payoff for your dedication. Often it is as if you have struck a large rock underwater; some fish come unhooked but it is just a thrill to have one wake you from that trance you slide into while you work the rod and line.

I think it was a streamer,

Ard

newby

Reaction score
I may be odd but mine was a size 20 red annelid cuz' I was going to the San Juan and had no midges :eek: .

Sure made tying size 14 dry flies a breeze.

stimmy7

Reaction score
So I'm **NOT** the only one who owns Roy Patrick's Book or who cut their teeth on THIS and possibly the Noll Fly Tying Guide??

=) I'm SOOOOOOOO glad!! =)

My first fly was a simple Mosquito- grizzly tail fibers, black tying thread body with white thread rib, grizzly hackle. I believe it was a size 12.

williamhj

Reaction score
My first was a black wooly bugger. Shortly after I learned the parachute adams, caddis, etc etc. I still love the black wooly bugger for bass and parachute adams for trout.

L

Liphookedau

Now thats a hard interesting question to answer as 1958 is a long time ago,The main reason I remember my name & where I live is it's on my Licences,just kidding as I remember The Mate's Father had a 1958 Holden Station Wagon..
Probably A Red Tag would be the first Fly I Tied.
Brian.

theboz

Reaction score
First fly was 48 years ago . Was for saltwater and I wanted to tie a bucktail. No place to get material for me back then so I tied a "Tuffy Tail". My best friends dog Tuffy had nice long white belly hair . So with the help of my Dads vise( not fly) and my moms sewing kit and nail polish made my first. Best part was we caught a mess of snapper bluefish on it! So began the addiction!