Favorite dry fly hook....

wt bash

Reaction score
Just curious to see if you guys had a preferred dry fly hook. I'm partial to the good ole Mustad R50 for most of my tying but I also like the TMC 101 for midges and the 200R for hoppers/crickets. So what's your poision?

williamhj

Reaction score
For small stuff, Orvis big-eye hooks. For larger, I tend towards thin wire 2x long, no particular brand though.

jaybo41

Reaction score
TMC 100/100BL/900 BL or Daiichi 1170-1190 for the majority of my dries. I'll use 1270 Daiichi or TMC 200R for hoppers/crickets/stimulators. TMC 921's for midges, small shank with wide gap. I also use this hook for Two Bits ironically enough. When I'm tying Hex's for smallies I use the 100BL SP. They are sweet hooks, but pricy. I have a few old Mustads that I'll use from time to time but I stick with TMC or Daiichi exclusively. My favorite is probably the 900 BL. Black shank adds stealth for really picky spring creek trout and barbless hook.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
TMC 100/100BL/900 BL or Daiichi 1170-1190 for the majority of my dries. I'll use 1270 Daiichi or TMC 200R for hoppers/crickets/stimulators. TMC 921's for midges, small shank with wide gap. I also use this hook for Two Bits ironically enough. When I'm tying Hex's for smallies I use the 100BL SP. They are sweet hooks, but pricy. I have a few old Mustads that I'll use from time to time but I stick with TMC or Daiichi exclusively. My favorite is probably the 900 BL. Black shank adds stealth for really picky spring creek trout and barbless hook.
I pretty much fall into the same camp as jaybo41 on my dry fly hooks, although lately I have been playing with the Allen hooks.

Larry

Pocono

Reaction score
Daiichi 1190, barbless.

How can you go wrong with the "number one" hook?
[Dai = number; ichi = one]

Pocono

dakotakid

Reaction score
Any reason to avoid Eagle Claw fly tying hooks? Their product line for fly fishing product line isn't as extensive as Tiemco, Mustad or Daiichi, but you get 100 hooks for slightly more than the others charge for 25 hooks.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Believe it or not, I prefer Dai Riki 125 emerger hooks for my dry flies. Even though the hooks have a slight bend and look like a scud hook, they are light wire and the wider gape really improves hooking power, especially on the smaller hooks down to 20's. In fact, I do the majority of my tying - nymphs, scuds and dry flies on the 125.

To me the problem with most regular dry fly hooks is that as the hook shrinks so does the hook gape and 20's are pretty tough to stick in a lip. Also, the Tiemco 200R has the same problem with such a narrow gape. This is just my preference, but anything I can do to improve hookups is a big plus for me.

I have a good friend who taught me to tie as well as build rods, and he will never, ever stray from a recipe. If it calls for a Tiemco 100 or 200R, that is what he will use, no exception. Too many tiers seem to think that they "must" stick to the recipe when tying is all about creativity for me as well as effectiveness. I'm not knocking the school of sticking to established norms, but straying from the path has brought great rewards for me.

Here are a few of my dry flies tied on the Dai Riki 125 emerger hooks:

Flav thorax dry:

Mahogany Dun thorax dry:

The Yellow Sallies shown here are on 125's (as are all the other nymphs, damsels and parasols, and scuds):

And, of course, my emerger patterns, but then this hook is a natural for this type of fly:

KG's CDC Para-emerger PMD:

KG's CDC Parasol BWO - two versions:

Also, at $5.95 for 50 hooks and $9.95 for 100 hooks from my local fly shop, they are the best deal around. Some say the hooks are too brittle, and I admit that I have broken a very few when pinching the barb in the vise. But, I have never had a hook fail while fishing - not one. They are sharp and strong and I catch a lot of fish on them. In fact, I catch the majority of my fish on flies tied with Dai Riki 125's.

If they can hold onto and land fish like these, then the proof is in the puddin' so to speak:

Just my two cents...:D

Best Fishes!

Kelly.

la_jolla1

Reaction score

For barbless, best quality and best price - about $7.00 for 100 and they are super......

HOOKS

Last edited:

dean_mt

Reaction score
I've gone to Daiichi 1190 for all my dries 8 and smaller. I also like their curved shank, 1270 maybe, for certain flies.

After using MFC hooks for quite awhile because of the low price point and that they are a Montana company (though the materials come from all over the Far East) I was having a lot hooks break of at the bend. And when the outdoor box store starting stocking Daiichi in nearly every style I made the switch.

dakotakid

Reaction score
Never tried them but at that price point its definitely worth a shot.
In case you are interested, Cabelas seems to have the best price ($7.99 per 100) for the Eagle Claw fly hooks, but I never see them in the store. Think it's because they make a lot more money on the Daiichi, Tiemco and Mustad hooks and therefore make it easier for customers to buy those products. I order the Eagle Claw hooks from Cabelas online and if you are close enough to a store, you don't have to pay for shipping if they ship them to a store near you.

As you can see from the conversion chart at this link (HOOK CHARTS), their dry fly hook selection is very limited. Haven't tried their dry fly hooks yet, but the nymph and streamer hooks look nearly identical to other brands.

stimmy7

Reaction score
For standard dries, the TMC 102Y is my fave- like the wide gape and the overall shape of the hook. I totally credit Hans Weilenmann for putting me onto this hook.

For small flies (18 and under) I prefer the Daiichi 1220 and 1222 (Darrel Martin) dry fly hook, again for the shape. The upturned shank is excellent if you're mounting wings or tying thorax style flies- and it provides a wider gape for better hooking qualities. Thanks to Wayne Luallen for "hipping me" to this hook!

dabluz

Reaction score
Many years ago, I bought a bunch of size 16 and size 14 hooks from Turral of Devon England. Wow....fantastic hooks. They are a bit smaller than the size marked on the boxes. I also have some size 18 Veniard hooks that are great and are very old. They are also a bit smaller than size 18 but not quite as small as size 20. The flies I make with these hooks are not for giving away or selling.

I also have some very old Mustad size 2 streamer hooks that are great. The angle at the head is not as sharp as the more modern Mustad hook.

Other than that, I go to the store and choose the best hooks I can find. What I usually find are Tiemco hooks and they are fine.

I also noted that Mustad now sells a higher quality hook....for a higer price.

bhakulin

Reaction score
I agree with you on the Dairiki 135's! I tie on them down to size 24. The 22's are extremely strong for their size and the 24's are stronger than most and you have a nice wide gap.

Walter1023

Reaction score
TMC 2488..........if I could only use 1 hook for everything dry - this would be it......fabulous bended emerger/pupa hook - works great for caddis dries.......but where it really shines is small flies size 20 to size 28.......its 2x short fine wire....so a size 20 is the same size as a 22 traditional .....tremendous hook gap. Successful Hook-ups go way up on these hooks when you are fishing a size 24 as compared to a traditional dry fly hook. Let me add they also make exceptional nymph hooks when I decide to go to the dark side.