Whats your favorite pattern to tie?

lthrnk03

Reaction score
With the addition of my 8wt rod to my arsenal I have been on a tying frenzy lately. So it got me to thinking...

Whats your favorite pattern to tie?

pa dave

Reaction score
That's really a harder question than I thought at first. I know my favorite patterns to fish are no my favorites to tie. Now I'm racking my brain for a decision on a favorite to tie, but I'm thinking I don't have a favorite, just many favorites. I'll keep thinking on it, though.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Great question. If I were to have to answer with a specific fly pattern, I'd really have to put some thought into it. One of the things I like about tying is that it is an excellent filler of time between fishing seasons.

Like now, my steelhead boxes are stocked well enough, so I'm inventorying the trout boxes, materials and thinking of spring creek trout. As that season goes forward, it's onto some smallmouth flies and then onto steelhead flies.

That said, I guess my favorite pattern is the one I'm tying and anticipating using with good company.

jml43

Reaction score
on the golf course fishing in Charlotte NC
Don't know about fav. pattern. But I do enjoy tying saltwater flies more than dry, wet, or other freshwater flies. It might be that I really enjoy saltwater fishing more even though I fish freshwater 70% of the time. I know this I hate it when I have to tie anything under a size 14....

littledavid123

Reaction score
Streamers and more specifically my own pattern creations. Find tying to be more relaxing if I am creating instead of copying.

Dave

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
Don't really have a favourite, but a couple of Caddid patterns come to mind. The Sedgehog and the International Hopper. Still there are many others I enjoy.

L

Liphookedau

As Kerry has said I also don't have any Favourites,however I don't mind Tying The Flies I catch Fish on & like everyone else we all Tie Flies we frequently use & catch Fish on.
Brian.

williamhj

Reaction score
14 parachute hare's ear... no wait, an 18 olive sparkle dun... or maybe a 14 red humpy... I can't decide

ted4887

Reaction score
I'm with Dan on this one. My hands-down favorite flies to tie are ones where I can stack some deer hair.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I tie more Clousers than anything but they are not my favorite to tie. I really like stacking Deer Hair though. Not sure if they are my favorite but I like tying them.
Dan: I'm just the opposite, messing with deer hair is just too darn messy for me so I usually avoid it, but I'm sure impressed by the patterns you turn out by stacking......very beautiful indeed, congrats!

Larry

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
My 'favorite to tie' would have to be my version of the Pheasant-tail nymph. I call it a bead-head, flashback Pheasant-tail, and it uses a copper colored bead, flash from the tail to the bead, and ribbed with chartreuse wire.

I like to tie it because of the specific steps that fall into place and lead to a pretty cool finished product.

They actually take a little bit longer to finish, but they are bullet-proof and I have high confidence in them when I tie one on.

Here it is:

Hook: DaiRiki 125 size 14-16
Thread: 8/0 Olive/Dun
Bead: Copper 3/32
Tail: 6-7 Pheasant-tail fibers
Rib: Chartreuse wire - small
Flashback: UTC Mirage - opal, med
Abdomen: Pheasant-tail fibers wrapped up hook shank
Wing-case: UTC Mirage opal, large
Thorax: Peacock
Legs: Brown-mottled Hen feather

Kelly.

P.S.: It is also the one nymph that catches the most fish for me...:D

lthrnk03

Reaction score
My 'favorite to tie' would have to be my version of the Pheasant-tail nymph. I call it a bead-head, flashback Pheasant-tail, and it uses a copper colored bead, flash from the tail to the bead, and ribbed with chartreuse wire.

I like to tie it because of the specific steps that fall into place and lead to a pretty cool finished product.

They actually take a little bit longer to finish, but they are bullet-proof and I have high confidence in them when I tie one on.

Here it is:

Kelly.

Kelly,

That is one seriously awesome looking fly! I'm going to have to try my hand at them(just the basic version for now).

jaybo41

Reaction score

Here it is:

Kelly.

Kelly, I've been tying lots of those for myself and my fishing bud in natural PT and Black PT. some have copper beads, some gold, some black. They do take a little longer to finish, but sitting down and focusing on them I've been able to crank them out. Thanks for sharing the recipe and that SBS to tie in the legs. That's really made a difference for me!

dabluz

Reaction score
Without a doubt, my favourite fly is a small Muddler Minnow. I tie it on a size 10 or 8 dry fly hook. For the body, I tie deer hair parallel to the hook shank ribbed with tying thread....front to back and back to the front in a crisscross pattern. I almost always add a very short tuft of orange wool at the tail to imitate the eggs. I then tie some white hair (often snowshoe hair from under the rear feet), I add turkey to the back like a regular Muddler Minnow and then make the head with deer hair. The head is rather small and I allow the rest of the deer hair to extend back.

I then grease the fly with Ginks or even some silicone grease for boots.

Ok...the fly does not look like anything in particular but it does look like a wide variety of insects. I fish it dry and it floats like a cork. After catching a few fish, I change the fly and let the first one dry out and I grease it again.

I make a lot of them because I have a lot of non-tying buddies who want at least a half dozen every year. I should sell them and make a bit of money but I just give them away.

To keep the turkey feathers in great shape, I paint the inside part of the feather with glue use to repair bicycle inner tubes. The feather stays flexible yet the fiber do not separate. The painting part is done at least a week in advance and even after a couple of years, when the backs of the feathers come in contact, the stick together. The same feathers are used for hoppers and crickets etc.

These flies do not last forever but some will catch a few dozen trout before showing much damage.

newby

Reaction score
It changes weekly. Right now it is CDC and elk. A great fish catching pattern that is stupid simple to tie, yet very elegant. But that will change by next month, I'm sure.