Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default The Common Household Materials

I wanted to mention a product of genuine interest, especially for the construction of streamers.

Your typical Box Store will have it in the Hair or "Make Up" departments, and the Hobby Shops carry it sometimes as well.

It is called "Clip In Highlights" or "Clip In Hair Extension," Model # 701, by the company named "STYLE STUDIO," and it is a material, probably acrylic fiber, which young ladies braid into their hair. It is often brightly colored, Pink, etc; but there is a specific package in a Barred Pattern, and a Dark Green.
    This particular color and patter goes by the designation: "Green Zebra".

If I had to tell you what it reminds a fisherman of, I would say it reminds one of a "Perch" coloring, absent anything Yellow.

The listed retail price is 3.99 / package and my guess is it would serve to make well over a dozen streamers.

It is slightly shiny with the barred and green sequences each about 1/4" inch wide and the entire thing is over 12" long.

It will make a most excellent streamer material, if not indeed, other things also.

---------

Also I went to my local fly shop today and they had no "Raffia". So I went to the grocery store and got for just a few dollars, from the Mexican food section, a huge package of
    "Corn Husks" used for wrapping the Tamales. I am thinking of using Diver Dan's "Kool Aid" dying formula for coloring and shading these.
    I wonder if I can coat them, after they have the shade I want, with something waterproof. Polyurethane? Scotchguard? Clear Acrylic Spray?
    Once they are formed into a Crayfish "carapace" or shell, and the epoxy added, they should be useable for awhile.

The hobby stores have a department where they sell "dried flowers" & "dried leaves" and artificial products of all kinds.
    It is a place where all kinds of Wedding Materials are offered.
    When first walking through it, you might think that there is absolutely nothing there of interest. It looks all "girly" and such like.
    Closer inspection into certain displays however, might surprise as to what you could do with some of the stuff.

Welcome to the world of Fly Crying

2. Likes littledavid123 liked this post

Default Re: The Common Household Materials

I would be very careful as you may find yourself on a slippery slope that leads to fishing with a can of corn...

If it holds up, you may well be on to something.

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

My two old Doggies (Husky passed on 4 October) Sandy, the Yellow Lab is still going 'strong,' but 10. Fur for dubbing? How much do you want after a good beach brushing?

That's Huskers in my photo. Anyone sat down on the beach and he was your instant companion ... especially if he thought you might have 'treats.' Ditto Sandy.

Sitting, a rest stop, and a cold wet nose against your ear followed up by a wet tongue. Newbies on the beach would get, how shall I say?, annoyed? Other fishermen soon set them straight. Best put down I ever heard was "Husky was on this beach when you were still sucking on your Mama's teet."
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

I wanted to mention a product of genuine interest, especially for the construction of streamers.

Your typical Box Store will have it in the Hair or "Make Up" departments, and the Hobby Shops carry it sometimes as well.

It is called "Clip In Highlights" or "Clip In Hair Extension," Model # 701, by the company named "STYLE STUDIO," and it is a material, probably acrylic fiber, which young ladies braid into their hair. It is often brightly colored, Pink, etc; but there is a specific package in a Barred Pattern, and a Dark Green.
    This particular color and patter goes by the designation: "Green Zebra".

If I had to tell you what it reminds a fisherman of, I would say it reminds one of a "Perch" coloring, absent anything Yellow.

The listed retail price is 3.99 / package and my guess is it would serve to make well over a dozen streamers.

It is slightly shiny with the barred and green sequences each about 1/4" inch wide and the entire thing is over 12" long.

It will make a most excellent streamer material, if not indeed, other things also.
    If you want to get real adventurous, you can get these in bulk, direct from China. I've seen them listed on Ebay, where you can get various amounts, in various colors with the barring and rather cheap. There are several sellers, most originating in China, that sell them, and most likely any you see in the local stores probably are being imported from China as well.

I've given it some thought, but............!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

Blog Entries

Not sure what kind of household yours is, but clip in extensions are not part of mine. LOL
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

7. Default Re: The Common Household Materials

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    My two old Doggies (Husky passed on 4 October) Sandy, the Yellow Lab is still going 'strong,' but 10. Fur for dubbing? How much do you want after a good beach brushing?

That's Huskers in my photo. Anyone sat down on the beach and he was your instant companion ... especially if he thought you might have 'treats.' Ditto Sandy.

Sitting, a rest stop, and a cold wet nose against your ear followed up by a wet tongue. Newbies on the beach would get, how shall I say?, annoyed? Other fishermen soon set them straight. Best put down I ever heard was "Husky was on this beach when you were still sucking on your Mama's teet."
    Sorry to hear about the passing of your friend. I know how strong those feelings can be.

8. Default Re: The Common Household Materials

Another product which can benefit the fly tier may be "Craft Fur".

This comes in a 9" x 12" patch for $2.99

I found 2 colors of interest:

(a) a straw color (b) a tan with streaks of black fiber.

The backing is a 100% Polyester. The "fur" itself is 60% Acrylic, and and 40% "Modacrylic" though I don't know what the "Modacrylic" is exactly.

This could be used in a Sculpin Pattern, etc. These could also suffice for Dubbing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    Fred: Sorry to hear about the loss of your dog Husky! It's always pretty tough when you loose a dog, they definitely become part of the family. About a month ago my girlfriend had to put her dog down, he was 13 and had a bad case of liver cancer and had gone blind.

Brushing out the horses gives me a good supply of dubbing material in a variety of colors, especially in the spring when they start shedding that winter coat. My son has a yellow lab that always seems to be shedding so I get light colored dubbing from him when I pay a visit.

Last weekend we went to dinner with a couple that manage a buffalo ranch, I'm wanting to get out there sometime to see what fur I can scrounge off the fencing.

Larry
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
    Another product which can benefit the fly tier may be "Craft Fur".

This comes in a 9" x 12" patch for $2.99

I found 2 colors of interest:

(a) a straw color (b) a tan with streaks of black fiber.

The backing is a 100% Polyester. The "fur" itself is 60% Acrylic, and and 40% "Modacrylic" though I don't know what the "Modacrylic" is exactly.

This could be used in a Sculpin Pattern, etc. These could also suffice for Dubbing.

Also great for shrimp patterns like the Borksi!
    Less likey, more green dots
    BrookFieldAngler.com

i had a couple of cats, and i would find a whisker here and there. i ended up saving them in a baggie. i had around 20 or so. they were bright white. but i figured i could color them with a sharpie. i had intended on using them for nymph legs or hoppers but never go to it. lost the bag in a move.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast