Copying a Fly

Jimmie

Reaction score
This is a question that I've pondered every once in awhile, but don't know the answer. If I buy an apparent unpublished fly that I like can I just reproduce at will for my own use. That said I've always been one to give the original tier all of the credit for developing a fly.
Example: I just bought a hot wire stonefly so that I could copy it. I've searched online for the pattern with no success. Bad; OK; no bigee; somewhere in between to copy it.

Reactions: Ard

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
This is a question that I've pondered every once in awhile, but don't know the answer. If I buy an apparent unpublished fly that I like can I just reproduce at will for my own use.
Yes

That said I've always been one to give the original tier all of the credit for developing a fly.
You are correct in doing so.

Example: I just bought a hot wire stonefly so that I could copy it. I've searched online for the pattern with no success. Bad; OK; no bigee; somewhere in between to copy it.
You are correct: no biggee.

MP

ChrisinselwynNZ

Reaction score
Jimmie it is very common that comercial tyers that have devaloped (most even have tying consultants) a fly wont release the method of tying or the recipie (with out a fee), this is so their competetors cant copy it easily (there is no copy right for flies). even if companys copy it they normaly change the name for their firm so you think it is their pattern.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Jimmie,

It looks like the guys have answered your question. If it weren't for copying streamer patterns I would never have learned to make them like the masters of the days gone by had done it. All but one of my flies are based on some other similar style of tie. Even My original creation shares painted wings with an ancestor from the 1930's. So tie away my friend there are boundaries.

PS. I just finished copying a few more Skykomish Sunrise on a #2 hook and got away with it clean. :cool:

Last edited:

Jimmie

Reaction score
Thanks you guys. Really appreciate your advice. OK time to tie away. May even post this stonefly after the materials get here.

MrEsox

Reaction score
AH yes copyright issues. To tell you the trueth, open up Cabelas or BassPro Shop, or any other BIG on-line ordering site and take a look. what you will find is how many flies get coppied and renamed. Clouser Minnow I've seen redone and renamed atleast 3 times even though the shape and look are the same the mats are not. I myself at this point in time could actually make a copy of the Clouser minnow but since Im adding a little extra stuffs and Im NOT using animal hair I could get by any sort of copyright issues if I was to reproduce it for retail (but Im NOT). Along with that, if you were to take 2 flies and merge them due to whatever reason (yes ive done this) you would have no link to the original flies. Thats just how this works...kinda crazzy i know but think of generic. Also since you are building the fly with your mats you picked up from a store, you in fact are buying into a copyright in a way. But what would get a little sticky is if you picked up a ton of flies from a fly shop say down in Colorado then came up to Washington and tired to resell them in a store. So their isn't anything to fear that your building flies for your own use. And if the Gov is going to come get you for that I think a lot of us are going to be sitting right along with you :p