Help identify the parts for A. P. Variant Green

brucerducer

Reaction score
Stillwater Sweeties – Fly Fishing and Tying Nonsense | Fly Tying Tutorials | Fly Obsession

The first picture shows the "A. P. Variant Green".

Can someone identify the specific parts that this is probably tied with.

Especially the hackle coming off of the head?

I looked on the Internet for "A. P. Emerger" and so forth, but they all look a little bit different, and I like this version a lot.

I found a website which shows that the "A.P." stands for "All Purpose"

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Stillwater Sweeties – Fly Fishing and Tying Nonsense | Fly Tying Tutorials | Fly Obsession

The first picture shows the "A. P. Variant Green".

Can someone identify the specific parts that this is probably tied with.

Especially the hackle coming off of the head?

I looked on the Internet for "A. P. Emerger" and so forth, but they all look a little bit different, and I like this version a lot.

I found a website which shows that the "A.P." stands for "All Purpose"

I wish I could help with the materials id....but man, that AP Green Variant is one sweet looking fly.

Reaction score
looks to me like olive, and natural color (grays) hen hacke with rainbow or pearl flash for the tail.
body seems to be synthetic, olive ice dub or similar mix of olive dubbing and synthetic flash dubbing
wing is teal
hackle is olive hen

Just message the blog author and ask for the materials list

gt05254

Reaction score
Fred, I think Eunan nailed it, body dubbing-wise. Olive Ice Dubbing. I use it on my fav large soft hackle:
[/IMG]
Gary

dean_mt

Reaction score
Yeah, I'd say dyed olive grizzly hen hackle. That tail is pretty crazy, it almost looks like there is natural hair under all that flash...hare's ear guards or squirrel?

brucerducer

Reaction score
I wish I could help with the materials id....but man, that AP Green Variant is one sweet looking fly.
Yeah! I saw it for the first time and fell in love with it right off.

I thought; "I gotta tie that!":wiggle:

looks to me like olive, and natural color (grays) hen hacke with rainbow or pearl flash for the tail.
body seems to be synthetic, olive ice dub or similar mix of olive dubbing and synthetic flash dubbing
wing is teal
hackle is olive hen

Just message the blog author and ask for the materials list

That's a great help. Thank you so much.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Eunan covered my thoughts on the pattern's material list, though it looks like there could be Pheasant Tail or another sort of feather in the tail in addition to the flash.

I'd have to agree, messaging the blog's author is the best way to cut to the chase, or PM littledavid and ask him to do it for you :p

Seriously though, if you get a list from the author, please share with the group. I love the looks of it.

brucerducer

Reaction score
Nick Granato of Salt Lake City seems to be the tier of the A. P. Variant Green, but I can find no contact information for him on that website.

Any Ideas? The website showing the "Stillwater Sweeties" does not seem to show "contact" info, and this tier is something of a pro, who writes articles for magazines etc.

Last edited:

dean_mt

Reaction score
Nick Granato of Salt Lake City seems to be the tier of the A. P. Variant Green, but I can find no contact information for him on that website.

Any Ideas? The website showing the "Stillwater Sweeties" does not seem to show "contact" info, and this tier is something of a pro, who writes articles for magazines etc.
Why don't you want to simply reply directly to the blog? That is what its for after all. ;)