Coming back to tying and need materials

pl4a

Reaction score
I am getting back into fly tying after a few year hiatus and I am wondering how most efficiently and cost effectively start re-accumulating tying materials. I have vise and tools, but I am dismally short on hooks, beads, chenille, fur, feathers, etc.

Do I start by purchasing a base set of materials for the flies I expect to tie most for my area (CO front range and rocky mountains)?

Or do I get only what I need for the first couple of flies I want to tie this week, and build-up materials as needed fly-by-fly?

Any thoughts on how to best go about this re-start? I can see arguments for both approaches and perhaps a blend of the two. I would appreciate any input that you may have. Thanks.

-Paul

williamhj

Reaction score
Make a list of the flies you fish and figure out which ones you want to focus on as you restart (size 22 nymphs might not be the best way to re-enter the tying world). Then make a list of the materials needed and get those. You'll probably find a lot of overlapping materials: elk hair for caddis and for wings on foam hoppers, foam for hopper, beetles and ants, etc etc.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Winter is fly fishing show season and there's a lot of fly shops that sell discounted materials at the shows. Some people sell only at the shows.
No brick&mortar, no shipping hassles, just quick money
Personally I make a running list over the year and try to make the most of this by buying what I most need at this time.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Get yourself a copy of Charlie Craven's book Basic Fly Tying, it is by far one of the best books I have ever seen on fly tying. Decide which of the flies in the book you want to learn to tie and write down the materials needed. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Cravens-Basic-Fly-Tying/dp/0979346029/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358267911&sr=1-1&keywords=charlie+craven"]Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51maKAS6wSL.@@AMEPARAM@@51maKAS6wSL[/ame]

If you already have a good handle on tying, then checkout Charlies Fly Box, there are 179 patterns listed with great step-by-step instructions and a listing of materials needed for each fly.
Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials

As the others have said, the Int'l Sportsman's Expo will be in Denver Jan 18/19, you might make it a point to see what they are selling in the way of materials.

T

turbineblade

I just got Craven's book and really like it. It shows techniques that I've missed even tying with instructors at local tie meetings ;).

I did the brassie he shows first, and I'm still working from there.

pl4a

Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for the feedback. Charlie's book plus expo this weekend. Sounds like a great plan to me!

-Paul

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Paul: Another source for materials is on EBay, just do a search for fly tying materials, but you have to be careful that you aren't buying stuff you aren't likely to ever use. Like you said, cruise the vendors at the Expo, they usually have some good deals.

flytire

Reaction score
Do I start by purchasing a base set of materials for the flies I expect to tie most for my area (CO front range and rocky mountains)?

Or do I get only what I need for the first couple of flies I want to tie this week, and build-up materials as needed fly-by-fly?
i tell new tyers to pick out 5-10 patterns they want to tie and buy those materials. these materials will become the building blocks for future patterns.

practice getting those 5-10 patterns the way you like them.

my book recommendation is "the fly tyers benchside reference". there are no patterns in the book but the techniques to be learned is worth the price of the book.

another thing to consider is tying lessons. fly shops along the front range (i'm assuming youre in the denver area or nearby) have saturday tying sessions that are free. check out charlies fly shop in arvada.

i took lessons more than 30+ years ago and i ocassionally take a tying lesson now and then. nobody knows everything about fly tying

these are just my opinions and yours will be different.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Paul: +1 for the advice that Flytire gave, especially since you live in Longmont, you should have several local fly shops available. Charlies is a bit of a drive, but you can't go wrong getting tying lessons from a master tier.
This month they are starting up their wed night fly tying classes. If that doesn't work, they also do Sat demos.
Charlie's FlyBox - Metro Denver, Colorado's Best Fly Fishing Retailer (flyshop) with online Fly Tying Tutorials

Charlie's FlyBox - Colorado's Best FlyShop and online Fly Tying Tutorials