Bobbins??

roofish

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me why Dr Slick has 3 different size bobbins? I started tying a couple of yrs ago & I started with their 4" ceramic bobbin. However I want to get another. They have 3", 4" & 4.75 why????? I can't find an answer anywhere???

littledavid123

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum roofish. It's a good question you have asked, I have never given it any more thought than dependent upon the tyer certain lengths may be more comfortable. I don't know if Laurie reads any other posts or not, but if you went to one of his, he probably would be the best bet for an official answer.

Dave

williamhj

Reaction score
He's a member here who posts some incredible fly patterns which he has tied. I have used a few different sizes and find shorter bobbins feel more comfortable to me personally, so that's my guess. Perhaps there are reasons beyond personal preference.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Good question, I have never given it much thought either, +1 for what William said about personal perference.

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
One reason I can think of would be to keep your hand away from the hook point. For example the standard and shorty rite bobbins are awesome for trout flies and even bass flies but if I am tying really big pike flies or somethin, the magnum keeps my knuckles away from the hook point. With the shorty or even the normal size, I would likely end up cutting up my knuckles pretty bad.

coug

Reaction score
My use is along the lines of woodriver. It may be just me, but I use a shorter bobbin when I am tying very small patterns (18-22). I also have a very large one for steelhead flies because it is easier to maneuver around the shank and not skewer myself on the hook. But I use a normal size rite bobbin for everything else.

Jackster

Reaction score
I have one long bobbin and a long Matarelli whip finisher. They aren't my hg-to tools but come in handy for some streamers when you have to tie and finish near the bend of a long streamer hook.
On zonkers in fact some recipes call for two colors of thread, one tied off at the front and the other at the back of the hook.

flytire

Reaction score
i use the K.I.S.S. (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle to my bobbin holders and just use tiemco ceramic for all of my tying. its worked for over 30 years.

:thmbup::thmbup:

---------- Post added at 04:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 AM ----------

Can anyone tell me why Dr Slick has 3 different size bobbins? I started tying a couple of yrs ago & I started with their 4" ceramic bobbin. However I want to get another. They have 3", 4" & 4.75 why????? I can't find an answer anywhere???
from the interweb

3 inch

When you're working on those really tiny Zebra Midges, you've got to have a bobbin that's up to the task, Dr. Slick's Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 3 in. is the right tool for the job. This high quality bobbin is a short 3 inches in the dispensing tube so you'll have all kinds of thread control on really small fly patterns. Tired of bobbins that chew your thread rather than dispense it? This bobbin is constructed with dual ceramic inserts to smoothly guide thread while holding enough tension on it to keep it securely in place so you'll never hear that tell-tale "pop" of broken thread again! Dr. Slick's Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 3 in. is available in an attractive and durable gold finish to last a lifetime. Number 22 hooks? No problem.

Summary

Dr. Slick’s Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 3 in. is constructed with dual ceramic inserts to ensure the smooth application of your thread, by keeping only the required tension on the thread, no more, no less. The ceramic inserts are silky smooth and will protect even the most delicate threads you can select. It's designed with a short application tube for extra thread control on smaller flies and in situations where finesse is required. This elegant fly tying bobbin from Dr. Slick is available in an attractive and durable gold finish. What are you waiting for? Wrap up some bugs so you can bag more fish!

Specifications:
Fly tying bobbin with dual ceramic inserts
3-inch applicator tube for extra control when working on really small fly patterns
Keeps required tension on thread
Will not chew or fray thread
Durable and attractive gold finish

4 inch

Tired of bobbins that chew your thread rather than dispense it? Then give the Dr. Slick Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 4 in. a whirl! From the leader in precision tying instruments, Dr. Slick, this tremendously durable and effective fly tying bobbin is equipped with a 4-inch dispenser tube for the widest utility available. This bobbin is constructed with dual ceramic inserts to smoothly guide thread while holding enough tension on it to keep it securely in place. From wiggly nymphs to heavily threaded hoppers, Dr. Slick's Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 4 in. is a no-brainer. Get your hands on one today!

Summary

Dr. Slick’s Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 4 in. is constructed with dual ceramic inserts to ensure the smooth application of your thread, by keeping only the required tension on the thread, no more, no less. The ceramic inserts are silky smooth and will protect even the most delicate threads you can select. Dr. Slick’s Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic is 4 inches long, the perfect size for the widest range of fly tying applications. It's available in an attractive and durable gold finish that will last a lifetime. If we could only use one bobbin, it'd be this one!

Specifications:
4-inch thread applicator tube for use in the widest range of fly tying applications

4.75 inch

When you're working with long-shanked saltwater, salmon, and steelhead hooks, wrapping thread effectively can be a challenging proposition, especially when you've secured loads of material on the shank. Enter Dr. Slick's Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 4.75 inches. This smooth ceramic bobbin from Dr. Slick, the leader in precision tying instruments, has extra length in the tube for easy application on bulky flies or awkward hook sizes. This bobbin is constructed with dual ceramic inserts to smoothly guide thread while holding enough tension on it to keep it securely in place. Next time you're ready to tie that giant yak streamer for a trip for stripers in the Delta, string up Dr. Slick's Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 4.75 inch, and get after it!

Summary

Dr. Slick’s Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 4.75 in. is constructed with dual ceramic inserts to ensure the smooth application of your thread, by keeping only the required tension on the thread, no more, no less. The ceramic inserts are silky smooth and will protect even the most delicate threads you can select. With extra length in the dispensing tube, this durable bobbin is an excellent choice for bulky, long-shanked, or otherwise awkward fly patterns. Dr. Slick’s Fly Tying Bobbin Ceramic, 4.75 in. will not chew your thread and is available in an attractive and durable gold finish. It’s smooth.

Specifications:
4.75 inches long in the dispenser tube for work on long-shanked hooks and bulky flies

a lot of bulls#!t if you ask me :)

silver creek

Reaction score
I use different length bobbins for different flies and materials. The shorter bobbins have smaller tubes. Smaller tubes allow a more precise thread control because there is less space at the thread outlet for the thread to move. The tube is also shorter and a short tube gives you better control of the tube.

I use longer bobbins with wider tube diameters for floss.

If I can make a comparison, a bobbin is like a water hose with a nozzle on the end. The thinner the nozzle and the closer you can hold the nozzle to your hand, the more control you have.

I think that you should use the shortest bobbin and the shortest tube that is practical for the best thread control and the size thread you are using. You can pound tack with a framing hammer but a tack hammer does a better job.

donsundquist

Reaction score
Hi my name is Don Sundquist and I'm fairly new to this fly tying business. Thanks for the heads up on that there is different types of bobbins and what there uses are for.

Good question and good answer, thank you Don Sundquist

Last edited by a moderator: