Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Alaska

1. Default Alaska

Heading to Alaska in June for my honeymoon. My loving fiance is "allowing" me to fish a full day while we are there. I have never fly fished outside of Colorado and have no clue what to fish in the rivers of Alaska. Does anyone have a couple recommendations I could tie up for my trip? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Alaska

Alaska is a big place, where are you headed?

Ard (Hardyreels) lives in Wasila (just northt of Anchorage), but he currently is out working on his cabin. You might do well by sending him a PM and asking him what/where he recommends.
    Larry

3. Default Re: Alaska

Will probably be flying into Anchorage and spending 4 or 5 days traveling between there, Seward, and Kenai. I know this isnt the right forum, but will probably look into hiring a guide for at least a 1/2 day. But wouldn't mind doing a little fly fishing on my own while I'm there.

Blog Entries

there are allot of good guides doing float trips out of cooper landing on the upper kenai river. you may want to look into that.
    good luck and have fun!

casey

ARFE

Blog Entries

The Matsu valley streams have taken a big hit on the salmon returning over the past few years, last year they closed most of the rivers to salmon fishing due to the poor runs. That isn't saying it will happen again this year, just something to be aware of. You really want to talk to Ard, he fishes all over that area and can give you his best views on fishing. In the meantime, browse around this site it has some interesting data on fish returns and what fish are in the rivers at any particular month of year.
    Sport Fish Run Timing, Alaska Department of Fish and Game

We also have several other Alaska members, hopefully they will chime in and offer some advice.

Edit: I sent you a PM!
    The Russian River River flows into the Kenai above Soldotna, a very popular area for the wade fisherman, but it is combat fishing to the 10th degree. However, by looking at the AK Fish and Game fish counts you can see when the Sockeye enter the river, more toward the end of June., peaking on the 23rd. Monitor this web site and you will get a good idea of what is happening before you leave for AK. They will also post any fishing closures on this site due to poor salmon runs.
    http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...displayResults
    Last edited by mcnerney; 02-01-2013 at 06:46 PM.
    Larry

Blog Entries

Bumping this to the top. I'm hoping some of the Alaskan members will offer advice. Anyone else that has used a lodge/resort that they would recommend.
    Larry

Get her involved in fly fishing with you and have the honeymoon of a lifetime.

8. Likes littledavid123 liked this post