Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Craft fur for Clousers?

Default Re: Craft fur for Clousers?

I use a fair bit of Synthetics on Flies,it's good to Tie with & The Fish don't really care,as Rip has said it can matt, however after a few Fish you usually have to change Flies anyway as They seem to get Mangled.
    Brian

I use craft fur for most of my clousers. I go to bucktail when extra length is needed. I just can't find really long craft fur or else I would use that instead of bucktail. When I look at both in the water I think that craft fur has more movement than bucktail. I've used marabou but it is pretty short and collapses a bit in the water, but great movement.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I've tried it and don't like it as well as Bucktail. Much of the craft fur I have bought is shorter and does not make as big a fly. I have had it tangle and woulld rather not have it do that either. I have used it on some smaller clousers and it's not to horrible.

I pay $4.95 for large great quality bucktails at both the Orvis shop near me and the other guy! Any color that I need! The guy at the Orvis shop has been calling me the"Bucktail" guy for years cause most of his customers buy small pieces for trout patterns and I guess he doesn't have many SW customers .
    Just a note Ive found recently that Antron Fibers make a really cool looking Clouser that looks very real and has a ton of action . Been tying small Tan over White with bead chain eyes and they look and act super baitfish like!
    And that deal that Rip posted at Cabelas is incredible Im going at the end of the week and will have to check it out!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

need long 4" craft fur just pm me along with bucktails that are 6"+ long...

Last edited by sandfly; 02-04-2013 at 07:22 PM.
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

6. Default Re: Craft fur for Clousers?

Quote Originally Posted by theboz View Post
    I pay $4.95 for large great quality bucktails at both the Orvis shop near me and the other guy! Any color that I need! The guy at the Orvis shop has been calling me the"Bucktail" guy for years cause most of his customers buy small pieces for trout patterns and I guess he doesn't have many SW customers .
    Just a note Ive found recently that Antron Fibers make a really cool looking Clouser that looks very real and has a ton of action . Been tying small Tan over White with bead chain eyes and they look and act super baitfish like!
    And that deal that Rip posted at Cabelas is incredible Im going at the end of the week and will have to check it out!
    I didn't even think about the Orvis store. One of them opened in my city recently. I'll have to check it out.

Blog Entries

just about any fiber, natural or synthetic thats long and stringy can be used to tie clousers.

as for buck tails, if you want better quality or saltwater fly size you will pay more

and you will pay more for different treatments being added to buck tails

examples

Fly Tying: Natural Hair & Fur at BEARSDEN.COM

chunklets?? new tying term??
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12