Craft fur for Clousers?

kingofamberley

Reaction score
I got some materials yesterday from bass pro for tying clousers. I am fairly new to tying and while I really enjoy it, I am still learning the ins and outs of all the various tying materials. Trying to save a few bucks, I opted to get craft fur instead of buck tail. I got a pack of white and a pack of chartreuse. When I got home I looked online to see if I made a good choice and I've been getting conflicting views.
So what do you guys think? Is craft fur any good for clousers? Or does it foul the hook too much/not hold its shape well enough? Did I mess up by buying it instead of real buck tails? I'm thinking of going back today to exchange it, but I'd like to get some opinions before I drive all the way out there. Thanks!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The craft fur will mat and you may have to comb it out once in a while but it make perfectly acceptable flies

If you want some cheap bucktail, Cabela's sells a "grab bag" of broken pieces for about 10 bucks. It's well worth it I think.
There really is no substitute.

itchmesir

Reaction score
I bought a grab bag of buck tails from Cabela's(at the store.. not online)... really nice imho... had all the colors I needed... and then some... and I've been able to tie plenty of clousers with it...

I tried craft fur and it drives me nuts personally... I much prefer bucktail for my clousers... a couple casts or 1 fish and a craft fur clouser is nothing short of a complete mess and a shell of its former self...

Bucktail can be expensive.. But unless you're tying big ol honkin muskie flies... 1 tail will go a LONG way

stl_geoff

Reaction score
How expensive is your guys bucktails?? I can get 2-3 chunklets of it for $1.60 and a whole tail is $4.95. i dont really think thats all that expensive, maybe Im in a source of cheap bucktail though?

Rip Tide

Reaction score
How expensive is your guys bucktails?? I can get 2-3 chunklets of it for $1.60 and a whole tail is $4.95. i dont really think thats all that expensive, maybe Im in a source of cheap bucktail though?
I think that the last ones I bought were around $3 for large whole tails.
But I still think that the Cabelas grab bag is a deal. It's good for having a small amount of colors that you normally wouldn't buy.
I use a lot of bucktail too.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Colored or natural bucktails? I'm interested in this source if they are colored... a full tail often runs $6+ for me...

kingofamberley

Reaction score
I ended up going across town to a fly shop, and picked up a variety pack of buck tail for 5 bucks. Can't beat that! Its not a huge amount of any one color but its enough to get me started. Still deciding if I should keep the craft fur or return it next time I head the direction of Bass Pro.

L

Liphookedau

I use a fair bit of Synthetics on Flies,it's good to Tie with & The Fish don't really care,as Rip has said it can matt, however after a few Fish you usually have to change Flies anyway as They seem to get Mangled.
Brian

lake flyer

Reaction score
I use craft fur for most of my clousers. I go to bucktail when extra length is needed. I just can't find really long craft fur or else I would use that instead of bucktail. When I look at both in the water I think that craft fur has more movement than bucktail. I've used marabou but it is pretty short and collapses a bit in the water, but great movement.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I've tried it and don't like it as well as Bucktail. Much of the craft fur I have bought is shorter and does not make as big a fly. I have had it tangle and woulld rather not have it do that either. I have used it on some smaller clousers and it's not to horrible.

theboz

Reaction score
I pay $4.95 for large great quality bucktails at both the Orvis shop near me and the other guy! Any color that I need! The guy at the Orvis shop has been calling me the"Bucktail" guy for years cause most of his customers buy small pieces for trout patterns and I guess he doesn't have many SW customers .
Just a note Ive found recently that Antron Fibers make a really cool looking Clouser that looks very real and has a ton of action . Been tying small Tan over White with bead chain eyes and they look and act super baitfish like!
And that deal that Rip posted at Cabelas is incredible Im going at the end of the week and will have to check it out!

kingofamberley

Reaction score
I pay $4.95 for large great quality bucktails at both the Orvis shop near me and the other guy! Any color that I need! The guy at the Orvis shop has been calling me the"Bucktail" guy for years cause most of his customers buy small pieces for trout patterns and I guess he doesn't have many SW customers .
Just a note Ive found recently that Antron Fibers make a really cool looking Clouser that looks very real and has a ton of action . Been tying small Tan over White with bead chain eyes and they look and act super baitfish like!
And that deal that Rip posted at Cabelas is incredible Im going at the end of the week and will have to check it out!
I didn't even think about the Orvis store. One of them opened in my city recently. I'll have to check it out.

flytire

Reaction score
just about any fiber, natural or synthetic thats long and stringy can be used to tie clousers.

as for buck tails, if you want better quality or saltwater fly size you will pay more

and you will pay more for different treatments being added to buck tails

examples

Fly Tying: Natural Hair & Fur at BEARSDEN.COM

chunklets?? new tying term?? :)