Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Craft fur for Clousers?

I got some materials yesterday from bass pro for tying clousers. I am fairly new to tying and while I really enjoy it, I am still learning the ins and outs of all the various tying materials. Trying to save a few bucks, I opted to get craft fur instead of buck tail. I got a pack of white and a pack of chartreuse. When I got home I looked online to see if I made a good choice and I've been getting conflicting views.
    So what do you guys think? Is craft fur any good for clousers? Or does it foul the hook too much/not hold its shape well enough? Did I mess up by buying it instead of real buck tails? I'm thinking of going back today to exchange it, but I'd like to get some opinions before I drive all the way out there. Thanks!

Default Re: Craft fur for Clousers?

You might have to use a little more of it than buck tail, but it's all I use for my clousers.

3. Likes brucerducer liked this post
  4. Default Re: Craft fur for Clousers?

Thanks for the quick reply. I should add, its Rumpf Extra Select.

The craft fur will mat and you may have to comb it out once in a while but it make perfectly acceptable flies

If you want some cheap bucktail, Cabela's sells a "grab bag" of broken pieces for about 10 bucks. It's well worth it I think.
    There really is no substitute.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

I bought a grab bag of buck tails from Cabela's(at the store.. not online)... really nice imho... had all the colors I needed... and then some... and I've been able to tie plenty of clousers with it...

I tried craft fur and it drives me nuts personally... I much prefer bucktail for my clousers... a couple casts or 1 fish and a craft fur clouser is nothing short of a complete mess and a shell of its former self...

Bucktail can be expensive.. But unless you're tying big ol honkin muskie flies... 1 tail will go a LONG way

How expensive is your guys bucktails?? I can get 2-3 chunklets of it for $1.60 and a whole tail is $4.95. i dont really think thats all that expensive, maybe Im in a source of cheap bucktail though?
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

8. Likes Guest1 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
    How expensive is your guys bucktails?? I can get 2-3 chunklets of it for $1.60 and a whole tail is $4.95. i dont really think thats all that expensive, maybe Im in a source of cheap bucktail though?
    I think that the last ones I bought were around $3 for large whole tails.
    But I still think that the Cabelas grab bag is a deal. It's good for having a small amount of colors that you normally wouldn't buy.
    I use a lot of bucktail too.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
    Colored or natural bucktails? I'm interested in this source if they are colored... a full tail often runs $6+ for me...

11. Default Re: Craft fur for Clousers?

The buck tails at bass pro are 6 bucks. The craft fur was 4 for a good sized bag.

12. Default Re: Craft fur for Clousers?

I ended up going across town to a fly shop, and picked up a variety pack of buck tail for 5 bucks. Can't beat that! Its not a huge amount of any one color but its enough to get me started. Still deciding if I should keep the craft fur or return it next time I head the direction of Bass Pro.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast