Brian's one a month challenge.

brian miville

Reaction score
So being in the beginning stages of the art of fly tying I decided to try and challenge myself. I figure the best way to become better at fly tying is to actually do it, and do it by trying as many methods as possible. So I came up with the idea of challenging myself to try and tie at least one new pattern a month. The patterns may be easy. They may be complex (eventually). I may even make a fool of myself for your simple entertainment. :D This will be a running thread where, hopefully, each month you will see the results of my attempt to tie a new pattern for myself. I intend to try out a format in which I will list the history of the pattern (if possible) and the materials, not so much for your benefit (since I am sure this is all old hat to you folks) but sort of as my "test answer" to show I am actually learning not just about the methods of tying, but where the patterns come/came from themselves.

So, let the fun begin with this first pattern of my personal challenge....... :cool:

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 PM ----------

Feb. 2013

The Mickey Finn!

History

It is believed this pattern was first tied by Quebec fly tier Charles Langevin, some time in the 19th century. First known as the "Langevin" it was later changed to "The assassin". As it's popularity took hold it became a go-to pattern, even though it's colors don't mimic anything in nature. It's fish catching reputation so enamored Canadian writer/fisherman Greg Clark to proclaim it was as effective as a "Mickey Finn", a popular drink that was rumored to contain a drug of some sort that left the drinker quickly out like a light (and is supposedly the cause of Rudolph Valentino's death). The new name stuck as Clark wrote about it many times in the 30's. As a streamer pattern it is supposed to mimic a baitfish.

materials I used
Hook: 2x streamer, size 8 (down turned eye)
Thread: Red 6/0 uni, black 8/0 uni (I did not have any 6/0 black on hand at the moment.)
Body: silver tinsel (I know, it looks gold in the pictures for some reason)
Wing: Yellow and Red bucktail

Overall it took longer than I care to admit to tie this one. The first attempt I did not like as I tied the wing in too far back giving a too large head. I also need to get some 4x long streamer hooks since I want it longer, but as of right now I only had the 2x long. Next tie I need to work more at making a neater head. It looks OK in this picture, but could be better....yes, I am picky like that. :D

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Brian: Sounds like a great way to challenge yourself and become a great fly tier. I'm looking forward to see your progress.

brian miville

Reaction score
Thanks fellas. I think I (all of us actually) have a big advantage than the tiers of yesteryear in that the internet is a gold mine of information. Just Googling "Mickey Finn fly pattern" gave me hundreds of pages worth of tying instruction. I have a list of stuff I would like to tackle, and between Google, this website and YouTube I doubt there is a pattern I won't be able to find info to help me along here. :cool:

flytire

Reaction score

Pocono

Reaction score
That's a good first tie!

Nice, too, that you're researching the history of the patterns that you tie up; I think it adds a lot to the enjoyment of both tying and fishing them.

A smooth thread base is the key to getting your foil body to lie nice and flat when the wraps are butted together. Leave a little space just behind the eye of the hook (about and eye-width) when you start your thread; it helps with minimalizing thread build up when you're adding materials like bucktail and it helps smooth and shape the head. Ideally, you'd like to finish the pattern; all materials tyed in, with a slightly undersized head, then build it up, as needed, with additional thread wraps to get the size and proportion that you want. Don't forget that head cement adds to the overall perceived bulk of the head.

Looking forward to your next month's installment..................any hints.........??

Pocono

brian miville

Reaction score
well i have some flies that i'm sure google and you tube + the majority of tyers have never even heard about but thats an article for my blog

additional mickey finn history

The Mickey Finn fly has proven its success over seven decades - Columns - Cape Breton Post

The Mysterious Long Life Span of the Mickey Finn | Field & Stream

Intriguing tale behind how Mickey Finn fly got its name - Columns - Cape Breton Post
Thanks for the links flytire! I did read the F&S article while doing the background research, but not the others. Some good stuff there!

Pocono said:
That's a good first tie!

Nice, too, that you're researching the history of the patterns that you tie up; I think it adds a lot to the enjoyment of both tying and fishing them.

A smooth thread base is the key to getting your foil body to lie nice and flat when the wraps are butted together. Leave a little space just behind the eye of the hook (about and eye-width) when you start your thread; it helps with minimalizing thread build up when you're adding materials like bucktail and it helps smooth and shape the head. Ideally, you'd like to finish the pattern; all materials tyed in, with a slightly undersized head, then build it up, as needed, with additional thread wraps to get the size and proportion that you want. Don't forget that head cement adds to the overall perceived bulk of the head.

Looking forward to your next month's installment..................any hints.........??

Pocono
Some good tips, I appreciate it! The hardest time I was having was getting the hair to lay just right. I know you don't want it shooting up at a 45 degree angle, but I was having a hard time getting it to stop laying flat against the shaft. And I didn't even think about even under wraps causing problem with the foil. After I had wound back I just did a quick rough wind forward, now I see how that can cause problems. I think I will head to the fly shop today or maybe next week and pick up some 4x long streamer hooks, maybe in a couple other sizes too, just to add to the box. These should make for great panfish flies.

And while at the shop I will grab some more stuff for next months attempt. You want a hint? Well, let's just say it is another streamer that I have used to nail bluegills with ease. You could say this streamer could be comfortable wearing either a crown or holding a set of reigns. ;)

webrx

Reaction score
Nice tie Brian,
I did something similar when I started tying, and I also got involved in several of the fly swaps right here on NAFF. tying a dozen (or more) of a pattern really helps to get the proprotions right and also sets the methodology of tying the particular fly solidly in your mind.

looking forward to next month.

Dave

flytire

Reaction score
i tie mickey finns as follows

tie in the oval tinsel 1 eye length behind the eye and spiral wrap your thread over the oval tinsel to the bend of the hook.

return the tying thread back to the tie in poind behind the eye.

tie in the flat tinsel gold side up using 3-5 wraps on thread.

now i wrap the flat tinsel back to the bend in touching turns.

at the bend of the hook, i then wrap the tinsel forward in touching turnd to the tie of point. this back and forth wrapping of the flat tinsel ensures there will be no gaps in the tinsel to have the thread show through. an extra step but i think it makes for a better tied body.

i the prepare my first bunch of buck tail for the wing. just before i tie in the wing, i will take 2 wraps of thread around the butts of the buck tail only. then i position the butts on the hook shank and secure with tight wraps of thread but not too tight where it flares the bucktail wing. wrapping around the buck tail butts helps to keep them on top of the hook shank and it also helps in keeping the buck tail seperate from each other.

dont forget to trim the butts of the buck tail at an angle to help create the conical head of the fly.

repeat the process with the remaining buck tail wings

reference

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/021901fotw.php

Pocono

Reaction score
Well, let's just say it is another streamer that I have used to nail bluegills with ease. You could say this streamer could be comfortable wearing either a crown or holding a set of reigns. ;)
Sounds like we could be looking at a Royal Coachman shortly..................:) Not a particularly easy tie with the herl, the feather wings and the hackle. Check out some of s. fontinalis's posts; you'll find some nice RCs in them.

Pocono

---------- Post added at 02:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:42 PM ----------

tying a dozen (or more) of a pattern really helps to get the proprotions right and also sets the methodology of tying the particular fly solidly in your mind.

Dave
+1 on that one!

When I started tying, I learned from a guy named Stanley Cooper, Jr. He had been a professional tyer at Abercrombie's in NYC for years; back when they used to be more into sports than fabrics. He once told me, in response to a questions that I asked of him; something like: "how long does it take to really get a pattern down?", "Once you've tyed up a dozen dozen, you've pretty much got it nailed". That's 12 12's; roughly 150 flies.

So, I think that there's a lot to be said for repetition. I remember when I sent in flies for my first swap on NAFFF; I think it was a Tups Indispensable, I tyed 4 dozen to get 12 flies that I wasn't ashamed of to send off; and those 12 were nothing to write home about...............

Pocono

brian miville

Reaction score
Sounds like we could be looking at a Royal Coachman shortly..................:) Not a particularly easy tie with the herl, the feather wings and the hackle. Check out some of s. fontinalis's posts; you'll find some nice RCs in them.
Yup, I have been looking to make up some royal coachmen since they work so well for me with the bluegills where I fish. The pattern I like most will be using craft fur (or maybe real hair....not 100% sure yet) instead of the feather, though I may tie some with feather wings too just for the challenge.

So far I tied 3 of the Mickey Finn's. And indeed they are nothing to write home about. I had planned on tying a bunch more, but really only once I get to the fly shop and pick up some 4x long streamer hooks. The 2x look OK, but I like the looks of them longer. Besides, I need some for the royal coachmen anyway. The way I figure it I will use the whole month to tie the same pattern so I can best get a grip on it. That is why the plan is at least one pattern a month. I figure a whole month dedicated to one pattern, even if I can make just several to get it down pat, but more if need be. Some patterns I don't expect to take much at all.....there are several chironomid patterns that look neat and simple it is crazy. But there are also a bunch of more complex patterns that could take me well into a couple/few dozen to get right. As it is I am not looking forward to dry flies and all the "fun" working with hackles should provide. :D

flytire

Reaction score
brian,

i hope this doesnt sound too critical but after seeing the photo of the fly you tied (i couldnt see it on my work computer since our security department blocks some photos) i think you should have used a rib of oval tinsel. its whats called for in the published recipes for this fly. i would also eliminate the red tag at the bend.

practice that tinsel work on the body and try to eliminate the gaps

i know that tyers always deviate from the published recipes of fly patterns but following recipes is a good way to learn about patterns.

overall its a decent tied fly

just giving you advice

brian miville

Reaction score
brian,

i hope this doesnt sound too critical but after seeing the photo of the fly you tied (i couldnt see it on my work computer since our security department blocks some photos) i think you should have used a rib of oval tinsel. its whats called for in the published recipes for this fly. i would also eliminate the red tag at the bend.

practice that tinsel work on the body and try to eliminate the gaps

i know that tyers always deviate from the published recipes of fly patterns but following recipes is a good way to learn about patterns.

overall its a decent tied fly
No problem, I can take criticism well. :)

The main pattern I used for this came from here:

How to tie: Mickey Finn , Fly Pattern, Streamers, Tying Instruction, Recipe, Fly Fishing

I used this one because I kinda liked the red tag on the end, but I can see how in the grand scheme it does not seem to add a whole lot to the pattern. Also, I did not have any oval rib on hand, so this one was a bonus. I actually had a bit of pattern overload when I googled it as it gave me endless pages to choose from. But since I need to hit the fly shop for hooks and other odds and ends then I can grab some oval wire while I am there. :cool:

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM ----------

One other thing.....maybe I am missing something, but the pattern calls for bucktail, which I am using, but the vast majority of images I see show the hair being pretty straight. My hair, as you can see, is all wavy. Am I picking from the wrong parts of the tail (if that is possible) or is it something else? I do stack the hair to get it even, but that does not help the wavy nature of the hair.

gt05254

Reaction score
Brian, you've come up with a very cool recipe for success as a fly tyer, congratulations.

About that bucktail: try to find small buck or doe tails, they have straighter hair, and are less likely to be semi-hollow and therefore tend to flare on you. The last thing you want for a hairwing streamer is the gigundous "northern white bucktail" that the perveyors of fly tying materials like to sell us. If you can get anywhere near a fly fishing "show", take the opportunity to dig through the tails available there. "less is more" is very true in this case.

Many of us don't use hair stackers for wings like the MF has. Rather, cut away from the skin carefully, remove the underfur, and tie in with the nice natural taper working for you. And regarding taper, to get a nice tapered head, be sure to cut the hair at an angle after you have cinched it down but haven't overwrapped it yet.

Just another 2 cents.
Gary

Pocono

Reaction score
Like everything else in life, all bucktail is not created equal.

When you're at the Fly Shop, take the tail out of the package and look at the hairs. Some are nice and straight; others are wavy, like you describe. You can tie with either, but the straighter hairs look better when tyed in on the top of the hook.

If you want the best looking fiies that you can tie, then you need to be selective about the materials that you use. It's always better to see your materials in the flesh before you buy, as opposed to purchasing them online; particularly furs and feathers; not so much for synthetics.

If you think bucktail can vary, wait until you get into hackle............ ;)

Pocono

brian miville

Reaction score
Excellent Gary, thanks for the "tip" on the tail....heh heh, is that a pun? :D

And thus the reason for my doing this challenge here is paying off. I can only imagine how many years of combined tying experience is reading this right now and offering their advice. :cool:

---------- Post added at 07:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:49 PM ----------

If you think bucktail can vary, wait until you get into hackle............ ;)

Pocono
Yeah, this is what I fear most about starting on dry flies. :eek: On my "to-do" list is a whole bunch of classic dry flies....Blue dun, royal wulff, Hendrickson, Humpy, Adams, mosquito and on and on....but I fear working with hackle. Oh, and the cost of hackle. I fear what buying a bunch of capes is going to cost me! :eek::eek::eek:

gt05254

Reaction score
Brian, if you go to the Jan. 28, 2012 post on my blog, you will find a step-by-step on tying a hairwing streamer that may prove helpful to you.
Gary