UV Dubbing on Attractor Nymphs?

mista_bob

Reaction score
Anyone else use straight UV dubbing on attractor nymphs?

I always hear people talk about mixing UV dubbing in with regular dubbing so it doesn't startle fish, but personally I've found they work better without mixing. I always put on one attractor nymph and one natural more imitative nymph, but probably 80% of fish are caught on the attractors. Why? Who knows.

One of my most productive attractor nymphs is what is essentially a Walt's Worm, but I use Hareline's Brown UV Ice Dub (which is actually mostly purple).

Another one of my favorites is this fly I've included a pic of, which is basically a Czech Nymph, but ribbed with copper wire and dubbed with Hareline Shrimp Pink UV Ice Dub, Red UV Ice Dub, and Spikey Natural Squirrel Dubbing, with orange scud back. I haven't named it, but I guess it would be Bob's Attractor Nymph? Hahah, very original, I know. :D

Last edited:

djamtime

Reaction score
I have just recently purchased a variety pack of lightning dub from Whitaker's in Pulaski NY. I am fairly a newbie to fly fishing, and even newer to fly tying. I have however had some success. I tie a lot of my patterns with creativity. Basically I take everyone else's patterns and add my own twist :) I just tied a #10 BH black stone with the black lightning dub, using brown goose biots for legs and tail. (tried to post a pic, but my phone is on it's last leg :/) To me the pattern only slightly resembles a stone in shape and feature, but damn... the blackish purple dubbing with the UV flash is sexy. I tie a lot based on Loren Williams' concept that fish eat bugs, and in a river full of bugs a stand-out bug may make the difference. Haven't had a chance to cast the stone yet, maybe this afternoon if the sun stays out.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:26 AM ----------

Alright, I got one.. Please feel free to give me some critique. I have never really shown anyone my ties before. I am aware that I am tied a little far up the bead. How are my proportions?

tyler185

Reaction score
Yeah I use the stuff all the time. Works great in the early and late season. I have mixed results in the summer when the water is low and fish are spooky

jaybo41

Reaction score
djamtime,

That's a killer looking fly from what I can tell from your picture. Looks like you did lots right with that one! The only improvement I see is the head looks a little crowded but that might just be the angle of the photo? I'd fish that fly with confidence. In fact, I'll take a dozen! :p

I mix the dubbing sometimes and I also use it without mixing. All depends on the fly. I tie a caddis larva with a Lazer Dubbing body and instead of a peacock collar, I use Black UV dubbing. Even picky spring creek trout seem to like it.

Not only on attractors but they work great on those anchor flies that you want to get deep. Here's one I had good success with last year. Rainbow scud dubbing with a pink hot spot and black UV collar.

These guys haven't seen the water yet but I suspect they will be productive. Bunny zonked tied over black Lazer Dubbing that's been teased out.

Last edited:

mista_bob

Reaction score
Yes just straight white/clear UV with a rib and pheasant shellback, hot fly on the river in the early spring.
What brand do you use?

I have some Hareline Pearl UV Ice Dub which is white, but turns a crazy translucent blue color when wet. I doubt that's what you use, but hey, maybe fish would like it! They seem to like other blue flies I have depending on the day. Maybe I'll tie a few up.

jaybo41

Reaction score
What brand do you use?

I have some Hareline Pearl UV Ice Dub which is white, but turns a crazy translucent blue color when wet. I doubt that's what you use, but hey, maybe fish would like it! They seem to like other blue flies I have depending on the day. Maybe I'll tie a few up.
Just about all of the UV dubbing I've seen gets a blueish hue to it once wet which can make for some interesting colors once the fly takes a bath.

mista_bob

Reaction score
Just about all of the UV dubbing I've seen gets a blueish hue to it once wet which can make for some interesting colors once the fly takes a bath.
But Hareline Pearl UV Ice Dub turns a CRAZY unexpected blue color! Their other UV dubbings turn a few different colors but none of them change quite so drastically as their pearl.

I'm just curious about other brands, too.