Let's see your tying station

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Fly Tying Bench

Lets see what you are using for a tying bench. Mine is simple but works. I also have a closet full of material that is just to the right of the bench.

Piscator

Prospecting for Trout
Reaction score
Re: Fly Tying Bench

All I can say to you Frank is that you have a much neater tying desk than myself. I would be too ashamed to display a picture of all the mess that I have on my desk. I just wished it got used more than that it does.

Great looking desk.
Thanks,
Terry

Joni

Reaction score

Frank, that is awesome. I do use one of those little drawer things for my hooks, beads, cones, etc. And I have a stackable drawer system (goes from floor to ceiling) full of all the materials and a smaller one for threads, wires, floss, etc.
My bench is my kitchen table and when I am not tying it sits on my dryer on the back porche.

Yoffione

Reaction score

Good thread Frank, and that is a nice looking bench. Through the years I have had many different places in our home that I have tied flies. Ranging from the kitchen table, infront of the TV on a card table, to the area I have now. I tie alot of deer hair flies and it gets pretty messy. My wife is a very good sport, but she gets pretty upset when she steps on a hook that I have dropped. My current setup is in our "office". The computer is on the other side of the room behind me, and is a great source of music when I tie. The wireless keyboard reaches and allows me to control it without having to get up.

This is my bench as it normally looks. I made it about 10 years ago. I was busting out some double bunnys at this point.

It is pretty clean here. I tried to get a pic with my view out the window, but it did not come out well. I look out over the Snake River plain as I tie.

Lets see some others. I am always needing ideas for storage. By the way Joni, how do you get into the drawers up high (goes from floor to ceiling)? I cannot go any farther to the side of my drawers. I could go up, but can't see down into the drawer if I go a whole lot higher.

Outdoorarki

Reaction score

That is awsome guys. All I have is the dinning room table and have to take everything up when I get done.

KRD

Reaction score

I started building mine, but my move has put a stop to that, so I had to throw it together. I will finish it soon, I need to run some wood through the lath to make the legs, build the drawers, and do some routing work still. But here it is as it sits.

The round parts spin for easy access. My girlfriend ties also so it was designed to sit across from each other.

Yoffione

Reaction score

"My girlfriend ties also so it was designed to sit across from each other."

Now that is cool!! Nice work and it would be a great way to teach. I usually end up having someone sit next to me and it is difficult.

Outdooarki, trust me, I've been there. I think I tie more cause I can leave as is and just sit down and go. Hang in there you'll get "your place".

Joni

Reaction score

Yoffione, the top one is smaller three drawer with my threads and stuff, then the next down on the bigger is Rabbit, then Mallard Feathers, Then Guinea so on. I pull the drawers out to find what I need, but it is nice and compact. Kinda like the one you have but, my bottom is 3 larger drawers, then the next is four medium and then eight thinner drawers, but they are all the same width. Plus I have Big bags of HAIR (Elk, Bucktail, Deer, etc.)hanging on the back porch (they smell a little and my dog just likes it too much)
I got so much stuff, I can't even believe it and I keep buying more. Funny thing is there is about ten flies I use all the time, anyone else have this problem?

Yoffione

Reaction score

Joni, I'm with ya now. I did not even think to pull the drawers out. I do have my 20 or so go to patterns ( I am trying to branch out this year, especially with big streamers), and yes I do have a problem with buying too much stuff. Most of the time I go in the fly shop to chat, and I pick up a few things I remember I need. Alot of times I get home and have 3 or 4 packs of what I just bought.

Joni

Reaction score

Joni, I'm with ya now. I did not even think to pull the drawers out. I do have my 20 or so go to patterns ( I am trying to branch out this year, especially with big streamers), and yes I do have a problem with buying too much stuff. Most of the time I go in the fly shop to chat, and I pick up a few things I remember I need. Alot of times I get home and have 3 or 4 packs of what I just bought.

I hear you. I finally broke down and make a shopping list for the everydays like Hooks and Thread. Right now I need Nymph hooks 12 and 14 and streamers 14. It's that time of year.

But in addition to that, I found out my ol man is as bad as I am. See some new stuf (ex: Sudohackle) and I think I can make this with that and I buy every color there is.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score

Holy Crap Batman, can you say neat!!

Steve, very nice setup. I have had a bunch of tying stations but I don't remember any of them ever being this clean. You must have young eyes to tye with out a lamp or magnifier.

Frank

Outdoorarki

Reaction score

Steve, you da man. That is one nice looking set up. I envy you.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score

Now that looks like a work space that is used. When we were in Alaska my wife never said anything about the mess as she tied also.

Fish Bones

Reaction score

Holy Crap Batman, can you say neat!!

Steve, very nice setup. I have had a bunch of tying stations but I don't remember any of them ever being this clean. You must have young eyes to tye with out a lamp or magnifier.

Frank
Thanks Frank... Thanks arki

Regarding my sight, I used to have excellent vision. Good enough to tie size 28's with no vision aids. Not any more. I just use magnified reading glasses when I need them.

The only reason its clean is because I cleaned it up before I took the pics. :grin:

Colorado Cajun

Reaction score

The wife not allowed zone.:frogdance

I bet you buy material thinking you need it and you probably have 5 packs of it already sitting in one of those containers. The reason I say that is, I did until I got everthing in one place.

Fish Bones

Reaction score

OK... give me a few days and I'll take another pic after its messed up. You won't even be able to recognize it. :thumbup:

Outdoorarki

Reaction score

I was looking at some reading glasses the other day for tying.