Norvise

Jackster

Reaction score
Learn me about the Norvise.
I had one follow me home from my clubs swap meet this week and I ain't for sure it's worth keeping.
The concept and video's are great but how is the reality of using such a vise as the Norvise?
I am a long time Renzetti user and aside from the Norvise because of the claim made behind it and it's unique features I had no reason to look for any other tying vise.
So tell me your experience with it please. Is it a keepr that I'll use enough to keep, will I use it along side the Renz or should I get it to a home that will make better use of it?
I really don't know being the darn impulse shopper that I am!
Thanks.

darwin

Reaction score
I think your going to have to answer those questions. Dress a few dozen flies on the Norvise and you should have your answer. ;)
I know the impulse shopper thing, I want a Norvise but have been able to hold off so far. :p

jsquires

Reaction score
The videos look great - and the concept makes sense. But from what I've read, there is a large learning curve. I'm going to take a close look at the Nor-vise at their booth at next week's Plesanton Fly Show and confront Mr. Norlander with what I've read and see what he says and hopefully give it a try. But I'm not optomistic because if there is a large learning curve for most folks, that means there will be a huge learning curve for a klutz like me.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Jackster: I think the Norvise would be much easier if you started out on one, old habits are hard to break. What I really love about the Norvise is how easy it is to tie up some dubbing brushes.

klunker

Reaction score
I use a Norvise. I started tying again after 35 years absence from tying. So it was like starting from scratch for me. I like it. I would say its only draw back is the jaws are on the big side for real small flies (14 and smaller). Being that the top edge is horizontal, tails for some flies maybe a bit tougher to do. I end up tilting the fly forward when working on the tail.

I tend to tie larger flies, Streamers on 4 and larger hooks.

The rotary feature having the hook shank at the centerline of the spinning vise is helpful at times. It gives you another option on how to do things.

If I had to do it over again would I buy a Norvise? I don't know, I'd like to try some other vises for smaller flies to see if its a big enough advantage having smaller jaws that come up from the bottom.

popperfly

Reaction score
Jackster, I use a Nor-vise and wouldn't trade for anything, I agree with a few others about the learning curve only you can decide. You really need to give it a good work out to get the true feeling of all the features the Nor-vise offer.

la_jolla1

Reaction score
Everyone has different tying styles - try and see if it is comfortable for you. The tool has to fit.....

flytire

Reaction score
the consensus i see on different forums is the norvise is a love it or hate it type of vise.

norm norlander makes it look really easy to tie flies on his vise because he probably ties every day of the week on it.

i would advise anybody considering one to sit down with one and tie a dozen or so flies before jumping in and drinking the koolaid.

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
I have tied on a number of vises and I went to Nor-Vise about 18 months ago and I won't go back. Not saying it is the best vise for everyone but really you can tie faster or lock it into place and tie as normal. For spinning on dubbing and wrapping various body material it is quick but if you are like me and sometimes the process of tying a fly the regular way is therapeutic you can do that to. The one thing you are going to have trouble with is using the auto bobbins that go wioth it and if you don't have them you need one. When you cut your thread from the fly make sure the spool is cradled in your hand so it doesn't retract the thread.....told myself this about 36 times when I started using it.
Personally I would suggest you dispense with our opinions and watch the DVD, check out YouTube and try it yourself. Give yourself time to get used to it, don't give up just keep tying and I suspect you will find it will work for you and if not there is no shortage of people looking for used ones. Good luck and by the way e-mail Norm if you have concerns he is amazingly quick at replying.

troutnut4

Reaction score
I use a Norvise. I started tying again after 35 years absence from tying. So it was like starting from scratch for me. I like it. I would say its only draw back is the jaws are on the big side for real small flies (14 and smaller). Being that the top edge is horizontal, tails for some flies maybe a bit tougher to do. I end up tilting the fly forward when working on the tail.

I tend to tie larger flies, Streamers on 4 and larger hooks.

The rotary feature having the hook shank at the centerline of the spinning vise is helpful at times. It gives you another option on how to do things.

If I had to do it over again would I buy a Norvise? I don't know, I'd like to try some other vises for smaller flies to see if its a big enough advantage having smaller jaws that come up from the bottom.
The new Nor-Vise now has an optional small set of jaws for tying very small flies. It resembles a standard set of jaws and is easily installed.:thmbup:

crashfromboston

Reaction score
I have a norvise, the learning curve is long. But give it time. Watch norms videos and then put them into practice. I have been tying for 20 years and am still learning everytime i sit at the vise. Is the norvise perfect, no but it can do alot. And if you follow the techniques it can be very fast .

It seems easy when you watch norm but he has been working on his vise for the better part of 30 years. You have to be patient.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Reviving this thread to see if there is anymore input. I currently tie on a peak and it does 99.9% of what I need.

However I started dubbin my thread like Norm does for dries. He takes and pulls a wispy piece of superfine for dries and gives the Norvise a spin. the thread spinning grabs a strand of dubbing and dubs the thread so finely and smoothly it makes for great bodies on dries. I can do this with my Peak but it takes about 2 minutes vs 30 seconds, not a big deal unless you are trying knock out a few dozen. The Peak I have to spin it by hand over and over, where the Norvise give it a spin and it keeps rotating on its own until inertia runs out and it slows down and it stops.

That along with how his bobbin/thread holder is a separate piece and doesn't need rotated in and out with usage seems like a nice feature.

MY friend ties almost exclusively on one and with his bobbins and swears by it. His W2 this year however will be 3x mine so he can afford to play around more.

I did buy the NorBobbins and I must say I was about to crush them with a hammer the first 20 flies I tied. Once I had the "Aha" moment of how to use them properly , they are fantastic. I will be ordering a few more kits.

Quite frankly I want one, but the vise, midge jaws, mounting board, trash can would run like $500. Technically speaking that is a lot of money.

Kerry Pitt

Reaction score
I totally understand your frustration with the bobbin! You can't just cut the thread LOL. If you buy the vise with the standard small jaws I know I can tie down to #22 anyway. You can build a base easily, go to a cabinet maker and get an arbrite (sp?) sink or basin cutout and drill the holes you need yourself. Make your own garbag. If you have some hardwood flooring scraps around I can show you how to make a really nice base.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I totally understand your frustration with the bobbin! You can't just cut the thread LOL. If you buy the vise with the standard small jaws I know I can tie down to #22 anyway. You can build a base easily, go to a cabinet maker and get an arbrite (sp?) sink or basin cutout and drill the holes you need yourself. Make your own garbag. If you have some hardwood flooring scraps around I can show you how to make a really nice base.
Thanks Kerry

That's great info, I rarely tie smaller than 22 and when I do its not like I would throw the Peak Away. A friend of mine, the one who turned me on to NorVise has tied on them for 10 years or more. He tells me he built a trash catcher and sent Norm Pictures and next thing you know Norm went to market with it. (Not 100% sold on that story).

I like your idea of make your own base.

My Birthday is in June so I just might have to put this on the "wish list"

For the record my $500 figure had a set of fine jaws,new bobbin kit and 10 pack of spools included

troutnut4

Reaction score
I'm giving some serious thought to trying fly tying for a cure of the winter blues. Having watched Norm's videos has inspired me to make the move and buy his vise and bobbin kit. Not sure about the lamp at this point. I have never tied before so starting on a Norvise might be easier than it would be if I had developed habits from using another vise for some time. I can't find any local instructors here but the internet is loaded with some great videos on the sport. :D

comeonavs

Reaction score
I'm giving some serious thought to trying fly tying for a cure of the winter blues. Having watched Norm's videos has inspired me to make the move and buy his vise and bobbin kit. Not sure about the lamp at this point. I have never tied before so starting on a Norvise might be easier than it would be if I had developed habits from using another vise for some time. I can't find any local instructors here but the internet is loaded with some great videos on the sport. :D
An instructor would be great but self taught is not impossible. The Fly Tyers forum here is full of folks ready to help and offer advice/instruction. I once asked about wrapping soft hackles and a member took step by step photos for me and posted them.

This place is a great resource for more than what rod or what reel type of questions.

trouton

Reaction score
As a beginner fly tier, I recently bought a Norvise system while attending the Denver Fly Fishing Show. I attended a tying class at my local Orvis store last SAT and took my vise, mounted to a tying board that I made, and was able to tie a couple of flies without any difficulty. I did not intend on getting the Norvise but after seeing the demo, yes Norm makes it look easy, and also reviewing the conventional vises, I decided on the Norvise. My thought was that I believe that I can go up the learning curve quicker with the Norvise versus the conventional vises. Dubbing alone is a BIG plus. By the way, the tying at the class went well and the dubbing was faster than the guys that were using the standard vises. Also my dubbing appeared more uniform. My tying materials arrived today and I am looking forward to start tying flies from Charlie Craven's book this week. Wish me luck!

Oh, by the way, I too let the thread retract once too many times. I am getting better at remembering to cap off the bobbin or loop the thread over the bobbin post. I also need to quit cutting my thread on the hook point so much. As all before have said, practice, practice,practice!

The Norvise system is for me!
Roger

monkeyboy

Reaction score
I made my own Nor Vise amounting board, as said earlier a kitchen sink cutout or similar will work just fine. yes you need some tools to do it yourself
also dubbing is great done on the Nor Vise. dubbing is easy to do once you get the hang of it, watch Norm on YouTube.

buzz

Last edited:

stanbiker

Reaction score
Plastic grocery bags make great trash catchers for the nor vise. Just slip one handle over each post, and discard when done

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

comeonavs

Reaction score
So I'm 6-8 dozen flies in to learning my NorVise and I must say I regret not buying this earlier. It is so awesome and while I'm not a production tier I can certainly see better quality flies I am making and faster too.

This thing is awesome, if you're considering one stop hesitating and pull the trigger