Got $65 to blow on hackle...need advise

fly505

Reaction score
Hi there! Got about $65 or so and want to start tying dries. Kinda wanna stay in 12-18 range...adams, caddis, stimulators, bwo's, grifiths gnats...I'm really eying the Whiting 100's, would get 3 packs of grizzy, brown, dun in #14...since I read somewhere that they can tie one hook size above and below? Also looking at the Whiting intro pack of 4 1/2 capes...just wanna get a feel of benefits and/or drawbacks of both from those who have experiences with either. Thanks and look forward to your replies :)

newby

Reaction score
Get the whiting intro pack- 4- half capes, or if you like 4 -half saddles, or 2- half capes and 2- half saddles. You will get a LOT more for your money, enough to tie hundreds and hundreds more flies than with the whiting 100 packs which may be convenient but for what they are are over priced (when you consider the cost vs half capes or saddles)

jaybo41

Reaction score
Good advise from the others. +1 on an intro pack. While I do use and like the 100's, I use them primarily when I'm tying patterns in a specific size in large quantity. Griffith's Gnats are a good example. Based on the list of what you mentioned that you want to tie, you would "need" at at least 3 different colored feathers if you want to stick with the traditional materials list.

fly505

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks all....great advise. I will most definitely pick up the intro pack. I would love to purchase the intro saddles but am unable to find an online vendor that carries them...most places seem to have sold out or only carry the capes. Thanks for the advise everyone :)

williamhj

Reaction score
Just check the colors in the pack you buy. For the flies you listed you would want grizzly, brown, and a dun. If you can't find a pack containing those colors (some don't have dun) check out the feather emporium.

A potential downside of those packs is that they aren't the highest grade capes, I think they are bronze? Shouldn't be an issue if you don't tie smaller than 18.

darwin

Reaction score
From Stockard / Whiting
The feather sizes are mostly 10 to 16 and each feather will tie at least several flies. The hackle is not graded by Whiting but the quality is more than equal to their bronze grade.

fly505

Reaction score
Awesome! Thanks...10-16 will be perfect for me for a while. Thanks again everyone, will have to give stockard a buzz to check on their availability.

fly505

Reaction score
I called feather-craft to check availability on Whiting intro "saddle" hackle...despite being SOLD OUT...they had some come in and they fixed me right up, 4 1/2 saddles for $60..grizzly, dun, brown, black! Check em out!