Family Friendly Organizer???

chetpunisher

Reaction score
I'm just getting back into fly tying. We are in a small house and we have a three year old and a new baby on the way. I'm looking for some cheap ways to organize my materials for quick access. Would like some suggestions. Thanks.

O

okuma

Chet,
We need for info about the house. Example...is there a basement to set up in? A spare room or possibly an empty closet? Possibly a small outdoor shed if you live south enough to not deal with cold?

chetpunisher

Reaction score
Small house, Michigan Basement, not finished. I was thinking of just getting a bunch of small disposable tupperware. Not a ton of room. I have a base vise, so being able to transport to the dining room table and unpack and repack would be very useful. I can't be alone in this situation can I?

Baby is due in June. Thanks.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Something like this, but maybe larger should work.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Snapware-7011-16-Inch-9-Inch-System/dp/B004W32SV0/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1361640109&sr=8-5&keywords=snap+ware"]Amazon.com: Snapware 7011 16-Inch by 9-Inch Smart Store System: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31oBIwuOtNL.@@AMEPARAM@@31oBIwuOtNL[/ame]

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I use an old dresser/bureau with shoe box dividers for a lot of my materials :eek:
And if you got a youngin', then you're probably just recycling quantities of these handy things

Last edited:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Room dependent (floor space) find a 'cheap' roll top desk. Everything tucks way, as close to 'kid proof' (lock the roll down, etc.) as you can get. Shove the important stuff aside and you have a work station for a lap top and ..... paying bills .....:eek:

Got mine well after 'kids' but two very curious cats .....:rolleyes: Neither chewed anything, but God did they love to use the 'stuff' as a play toy.

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
I use an old dresser/bureau with shoe box dividers for a lot of my materials
If you really are short on space, you could stash the kids in the bottom drawers.:D

My mom (who grew up in the Great Depression) did tell my sister once when she was looking for a crib to use the bottom drawer of a dresser till they could find a decent one for her new baby boy--just open it, set the little guy in on some good padding, and he'd sleep. Worked just fine.

comeonavs

Reaction score
I got a 3pack of Rubbermaid "like" lock top bins for the travel trailer for storing band aids , batteries and what not. They worked so well I got 3 more for fly tying. It was like 3 for $8.99. They are about 10" long, 5" wide and 3" deep.Then I have all my peacock herls and pheasant tails thumb tacked to the wall as my office is small. So the smaller bins on top 1 is hooks, 1 is thread/wire, 1 is beads. The bigger bin below has all my dubbing, chenille, micro tube, krystal flash. Then just a little desk organizer for my bobbins and tools

Granted I have 1300+ hooks and same for beads it is amazing how fast $1,200 goes when you "load up" on supplies. Then again I've tied over 900 flies so I'm about to break even......wow I just went there didn't I

flytire

Reaction score
consider a rolling tool box from one of the big box hardware store

plenty of room and stores away nicely in a closet

JoJer

Reaction score
My early material holders were clear plastic page protectors. They come in a variety of pocket sizes-the buisness card size is the same size as may hook pakages- to hold various sizes and amounts of material. The page protectors went into 3 ring binders and the binders got replaced with bigger binders as the stash grew. My vise, tools, glues, and a couple of compartment boxes of beads, thread etc went into my Grandpa's old cedar tackle box. All the binders and the tackle box went onto a high shelf when not in use to keep the cats out of them.
When I got a designated tying desk-an old hollow wood door- I got a two drawer file cabinet to serve as "legs" on one end and all the page protectors went into hanging files in the file cabinet.
On the few occaisions when I took my tying a-travelin', I pulled the page protectors for the materials I thought I'd need, put them in a thinner binder, and the binder and tackle box went with me.
On the con side: There is some stuff that won't fit well in page protectors- Whiting 100's are just a shade too long. Ditto some capes and pheasant tails. More than half of one drawer in full of sheets and chunks of all kinds of foam. I need a new space for it.
Since no one else mentioned it, search tying desks and tying stations herein for more ideas.