DIY Tying station

williamhj

Reaction score
We're moving into a new house this week and I'm already planning my fly tying and rod building area in the house :) I'm considering making a sort of tying station for myself and trying to come up with ideas. I'm wondering if anyone has made their own and, if so, would you be willing to post some photos?

flytire

Reaction score
a little more info on the area in the house would be great. we dont know if that area is an extra bedroom, a closet, a basement, a shed, in a corner in the living room etc.

is there room for a desk of some sort? a table?

theres a ton of ideas here for fly tying stations

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...Q&biw=1160&bih=585&sei=vJUsUa3QPMeOrgfmmYCYDA

heres some ideas for fly tying desks

https://www.google.com/search?q=fly...LrrQfD8IGYAg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1160&bih=585

how about fly tying rooms

https://www.google.com/search?q=fly...79,d.bmk&fp=220260d8e4647340&biw=1160&bih=569

you can even make a tying bench from a cutting board

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/readerscast/rc251.php

williamhj

Reaction score
a little more info on the area in the house would be great. we dont know if that area is an extra bedroom, a closet, a basement, a shed, in a corner in the living room etc.

is there room for a desk of some sort? a table?

theres a ton of ideas here for fly tying stations

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...Q&biw=1160&bih=585&sei=vJUsUa3QPMeOrgfmmYCYDA
Thanks for the reply. It is the station that I'm looking for. Have a nice table but want something I can set up and take off the table. I want it versatile to go between tying and rod building and perhaps also space for the kids/wife to do stuff if I ever manage to get it cleared off :) I did a google search myself, more looking for ideas from folks on here. I see stuff for sale but am not sure how people find it working with different set-ups. Thanks for the links though.

William: Also take a look through this thread on fly tying stations: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...ussions/3105-lets-see-your-tying-station.html
Thanks Larry, this is a gold mine! I forgot about the thread! Thanks

wt bash

Reaction score
In all seriousness the simpler the better. I rearranged my rod making area a bunch of times before settling on the simplest layout possible. The last thing you want is a bunch dodads and complicated set ups when your wrapping a rod or tying a fly.

Remember too the bigger the area the bigger the mess!

flytire

Reaction score
sorry if the links didnt help you out with some ideas on building a portable tying station but maybe someone else will appreciate them to get ideas to make their station. :)

as can be seen in the links, one size doesnt seem to fit all and there are some relly creative tying stations

i have an oasis tying station that i really dont like to use so i just may look at some of the ones i do like from the links, combine the different features and make my own.

good luck in finding the one thats just right for you.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I've been threatening to make a station like you are talking about William, something that sit on my table, contains all the tools and materials for a pattern and can be picked up and moved easily. But for me to make this would mean first I'd have to clean my garage to get to my work bench and table saw!

I have made some drawings of the features I'd want: a few "cups" routed out of the base for beads and hooks, a little backsplash around the sides to contain everything with some dowels to hold spools. I have scaled back my plan since I finally got one of those foam blocks with holes in it. That simple, little, light weight thing is the best organizer I've ever had. It holds pert near every tool I use and certainly everything I need within reach.

bruce m

Reaction score
I made this out of curly maple a bit over a year ago, so far I like the layout and the storage is plentiful but filling quickly. I can see a matching storage cabinet coming soon.

Last edited:

williamhj

Reaction score
I've been threatening to make a station like you are talking about William, something that sit on my table, contains all the tools and materials for a pattern and can be picked up and moved easily. But for me to make this would mean first I'd have to clean my garage to get to my work bench and table saw!

I have made some drawings of the features I'd want: a few "cups" routed out of the base for beads and hooks, a little backsplash around the sides to contain everything with some dowels to hold spools. I have scaled back my plan since I finally got one of those foam blocks with holes in it. That simple, little, light weight thing is the best organizer I've ever had. It holds pert near every tool I use and certainly everything I need within reach.
Well of course. I'll need to organize the garage, build a work bench or two at the new house and then buy a drill press along with the lathe I'm going to get for rod building :) All necessary purchase for sure. I have similar things in mind and am torn between having lots of holes, dowels, etc on it for lots of materials or simplifying. I always intend to just bring out the materials for one or two patterns and the stuff ends up taking over the table :)

I made this out of curly maple a bit over a year ago, so far I like the layout and the storage is plentiful but filling quickly. I can see a matching storage cabinet coming soon.
The picture didn't come through for me.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Well of course. I'll need to organize the garage, build a work bench or two at the new house and then buy a drill press along with the lathe I'm going to get for rod building All necessary purchase for sure. I have similar things in mind and am torn between having lots of holes, dowels, etc on it for lots of materials or simplifying. I always intend to just bring out the materials for one or two patterns and the stuff ends up taking over the table
Man William...I am something seriously jealous! I've been day dreaming more and more lately about a shop with a lathe and drill press and ... I really need go buy some Lottery tickets!! Quite my day job...

williamhj

Reaction score
Thanks Bruce, that's a great desk! I like the doors and drawers and having the computer screen right there. Easy to follow patterns online or jump on and order more hooks or beads :) Thanks for posting the picture.