Novice tyer looking for critque/pointers

hornpout

Reaction score
Fairly new fly tyer trying to practice up and get ready for the upcoming season. I've tied up a few streamers recently and was looking for some critique/pointers on pattern issues or any technique issues that you may see in what I've done.

I do plan to switch from the fake jungle cock to the real stuff once I'm sure I've got things going fairly well. Figured the fake stuff would work just as good for learning with.

Grey Ghost

Black Ghost

I'm thinking I was a little too sparse with the bucktail on this one, especially the white.
Red and White

Black Nose Dace

Rip Tide

Reaction score
Hey 'pout
I don't think that there is such a thing as "too sparse" :D
... except maybe the black lateral line on the dace and that may just be the picture. On a live black nose dace it's very distinctive
Other than that (and maybe the overly large heads), those are just what you need.

flytire

Reaction score
this is what your gray ghost should look like

Gray Ghost step by step

the black ghost should look like this (as a featherwing)

the red and white so not bad at all but some have a topping of peacock herl

the tail on the black nose dace should be much shorter. it is supposed to represent the anal vent. the buck tail wing should be 3 separate layers white black brown

please understand i'm just trying to help

Last edited:

gt05254

Reaction score
Great start, Hornpout! Most beginners crowd the eye, you're pretty much the opposite. You can tie off your body a little closer to the eye, you'll have a little shorter head, which is ok.

I bet they'll all catch fish!
Gary

P.S. I did a Step by Step on my blog on tying a Magog Smelt; the basics will hold true for tying most hairwing streamers (there's also a post on my blog on tying a featherwing streamer). I'll put the smelt link here, if the moderators don't want it up, they can freely delete the link. you'd just have to go to the blog and look around. Have fun: http://theriverscourse.blogspot.com/2012/01/tying-thoroughly-modern-magog-smelt.html

hornpout

Reaction score
Rip Tide, I have heard the "can never be too sparse" once or twice before. I have just recently moved from the "if a little is good a lot must be great" camp to the "less is more" camp and wasn't sure if I had gone too far the other way or not. The bnd lateral line is partly the photo but mostly me. :D I'll make sure to pay a little more attention to making that more prominent.

Flytire, thanks for the pics and the link to the grey ghost walk through. They really explain the steps in great detail with some nice tips thrown in there. Looking between your pics and mine it looks like I'm running too far back on the hooks with bodies and tails as well so I will make sure to keep an eye on that.

Gary, thanks for the encouragements and your comments. That damn head gets me every time. When I first started out tying I was definitely an eye crowder. Time to shoot for the happy medium! :D

Thank you all for the comments and advice. This was exactly the feedback I was hoping for!

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Gary, just noticed the ps after I posted the last reply. Will definitely check out your blog. Thanks for the link!

gt05254

Reaction score
The most important thing is to just have fun with it, and always remember:
Your Hook, Your Rules!
Gary

L

Liphookedau

Being an Aussie as I would say being a Novice,"Youv'e Done alright mate",I agree with Gary,get them in The Water & your Flies will catch Fish.
Also with practice you will Tie Beautiful Flies Like Flytire's.

Brian.

hornpout

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone for all the words of encouragement. I really do appreciate it. I really enjoy tying flies. Nothing felt more rewarding than the first time I caught a fish on a fly I had tied myself. It was a bit ugly but did the trick. :) I've got just enough perfectionist in me that even if it works I want it to look pretty too! Practice is definitely the key to getting there.

So, here's round 2 on the Black Nose Dace.

dabluz

Reaction score
Very much nicer. You could start your tinsel body just opposite of the barb (a bit further back). The head is much better. It's difficult to have that nice triangular shape head when there is no material under the hook. I never make any streamers without something under the body because they just do not look right in my book. For the BND, I put the white hair under the hook shank. I rarely tie a streamer without a painted eye.

As for catching fish....no doubt your streamers will do just fine.

I taught my wife's uncle to tie flies. They looked horrible and he used cheap saddle hackles that he would cut shorter with scissors. The head's of his flies were just a ball of twine and he used weird colours....lol. He caught a lot of fish with his flies.

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I happen to like your grey ghost as is. I think that it's quite fishable and I've seen others meant for catching fish, that looked similar.
Unless you're tying classic flies for hanging on the wall, how a fly "is suppose to look" is subjective

Reaction score
Looks like your off to good start. it just requires practice.

If you're tying fishing flies, try to have the wings finish as close to the bend of the hook as possible. that way, when they're swimming, they won't foul the bend of the hook.

When you get to display flies, you'll be able to leave the longer and more droopy, as Carrie Stevens did on her flies.

Keep at it. I started with streamers about this time last year. Its a fun learning experience. Continue to post your flies here, you'll get plenty of good feedback.

Eunan

hornpout

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip on ending the wings at or near the bend. That is one problem I have noticed with some of my streamers. The wing get around the hook bend and turns my streamer into a water screw!

Now, if only I could get the work place to understand I need time to go home and work on tying flies things would be nice. :D Will be sitting down on the vice after I get out though and will hopefully have some more improved examples to post up soon.

Thanks again to everyone for all the responses. I am blown away by how helpful and friendly everyone I have spoken with on this board is. Just wish I had found it months ago!

hornpout

Reaction score
So here is my attempt at the Stevens style Gray Ghost which I affectionately term the Gray PIA. :D It didn't come out too bad but I'm thinking I will stick with the easier version until my skills improve a bit.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Hornpout, I've been following this thread & your progression is superb. That Black Ghost will fish! Only suggestion I have, looks like you used a single pair of hackles for the wing. I make it a point to use 3 pairs on any feather winged flies I tie, but that's not always practical on smaller flies.

Try at least 2 pairs, it will give it a more solid appearance, and the wing won't be as flimsy, which will aid in keeping it from fouling around the hook. Hackle with more web would be better, but sometimes you have to use what you have.

The body taper could be a little better too, but that will certainly come with more practice as fast a you're progressing!