Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  11
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fly box

Blog Entries

Default fly box

we talk a lot about flies but not about what to put them in. so heres an easy home made fly box that takes about a 1/2 - 1 hour to make

pinking shears
    utility knife
    pencil
    1/4 inch foam sheet
    straight edge
    tin box or altoids box (i used a cabelas gift card box $2)
    glue

measure the box and cut the foam into strips to fit the box.
    pinking shears will give you equal indentations to make the slit to hold the fly and will look like the more expensive boxes.

apply the glue and install the foam strips inside the box

stick your flies into the slits in the foam. close the cover and shake the box vigorously to ensure the flies stay in place.
    most folks dont believe they will stay in place because its not one of those expensive c&f style box

here is another one with 1 piece of foam. repeat the measure, cut, glue, install process as above.

thanks for looking
    Last edited by flytire; 03-03-2013 at 06:32 AM.
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Default Re: fly box

Very nice indead, never thought of the pinking shears will have to get some now.
    sandfly/ bob
    (www.bigmeadowsflyshop.com)
    N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
    from the outer edge of nowhere
    fly tying and fishing Gillie..

Default fly box

Awesome idea! Will for sure be doing this within the next few days. Thanks for the post.

Great idea and well presented step by step. Nicely done!
    Gary

Love the idea, now to force feed altoids to my wife
    Bruce

6. Likes mista_bob, jaybo41 liked this post
    Blog Entries

I did an altoids fly box the other day, but your pinking shears idea sure gives it the professional look, very nicely done, congrats!

Larry
    Larry

Great sbs. I will be doing this in the near future as there is no fly shops in my city. Thanks for the great idea

Blog Entries

Nicely done SBS flytire! That's a nice looking end result to boot. Like the others, I hadn't thought of pinking shears. I bet the craft stores will have a run on them since you shared this post! Couple of other thoughts that you could do when making it would be to line the entire box with the craft store foam and then put slits in it from one end to the other. The end result would be a nice streamer box.

You could also get some of the adhesive magnet squares that are sold in Staples to put business cards on and place one on a portion of the box. The magnets are really nice for small flies like midge nymphs.
    ~*~Leave only your footprints~*~

Blog Entries

I don't know if these particular tin boxes have the required thickness to accommodate streamers but I would venture a guess there is a box out there that does
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Anyone with young enough kids to have to buy whipes will have the perfect boxes. They are about 1'' thick by 8'' by 4''. I plan on building a few of them using this technique.
    John L.

"The finest gift you can give to any fisherman is to put a good fish back, and who knows if the fish that you caught isn't someone else's gift to you?" Lee Wulff

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast