Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rotary Vise Suggestions

Default Re: Rotary Vise Suggestions

+1 for the Renzetti Traveler

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardsportsman View Post
    .......the dog house I will be sleeping in when I get it
    Responding at 3 AM? Taking precautionary steps to make sure your wife doesn't find out in advance?

Default Rotary Vise Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by dakotakid View Post
    Responding at 3 AM? Taking precautionary steps to make sure your wife doesn't find out in advance?
    Well I got off of work at midnight, and had the urge to tie some ideas I had. She is not my wife yet, that's why I have to be careful! Its easy for her to pack and leave as soon as she realizes my new obsession. I have to keep it on the down low. I call it operation covert cover my butt so she sticks with me lol!! On the plus side I will be getting her a fly rod outfit for her birthday in May. .......i already have a 5wt.......so Im thinking she needs a 7wt.......... Right?
    Awkward Sportsman

Two things you should consider are resale value AND future parts availability.

I know that the Renzetti will be easy to sell and you will have parts in 30 years. Some folks thought a company like Abel would keep making their tying vise but Abel Supreme owners are SOL if anything goes wrong.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Yeah but that Abel sure is purty!!

If you look at the adjustable angle on the vise support arm, you will see that Abel infringed on this feature which Renzetti's patented. I think they also infringed on the patented jaw mechanism.

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

7. Default Re: Rotary Vise Suggestions

Last year I upgraded from a Griffin Superior to a Renzetti Saltwater Traveler and I love it. I've been very happy with it as is the friend I recommended it to.

Sent from my SkyRaider Thunderbolt.

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    If you look at the adjustable angle on the vise support arm, you will see that Abel infringed on this feature which Renzetti's patented. I think they also infringed on the patented jaw mechanism.
    I think the Renzetti patents are on the true rotary aspect and the cam jaw mechanism.

Rotary function view:
    Patent Images

Exploded cam jaw view:
    Patent Images

I may have been mislead by this:

"Patented adjustable jaw support arm mechanism"

Renzetti Master Vise (Deluxe Base) | mudhole.com
    Regards,

Silver

One recommendation I would make is to try to find some local (to you) tyers that may own one or more of the brands you're focusing in on and ask if you could try the vises. Most of "us" are more than willing to let someone give their vise a go.

You can assemble a simple bag of tools/materials (hooks, a bobbin, scissors, tailing, body material, hackles and wing materials) in a ziploc sandwich bag or snap box to take with you so you have all you need to try a pattern or two.

Part of it is the functionality of a vise, but a BIG part of it is the comfort-ability. It may look nice and tie well, but you just might not be comfortable tying on it. One thing about rotaries is for them to work right, the axis of the shaft has to be a certain height above the tying surface and unless you can raise or lower the height of your tying surface (or your chair), this fixed height may cause you to hold your arms in an uncomfortable position.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast