Rotary Vise Suggestions

awkwardsportsman

Reaction score
Ok guys...... I am in the market for a new rotary vise. I currently just have the cheap $15 that came with my Gander Mtn kit. I would like opinions on what to get.

While I certainly do appreciate brand loyalties, I am looking for the best all around cost to feature benefit. I basically don't care how "pretty" the vise is, I just want a smooth rotary vise. Something with no sharp edges to catch thread. I would also prefer a pedestal base as then I could travel with it.

Thank you for any help!

flytire

Reaction score
2013 renzetti traveler $160

however, YOU should head to your local fly shop and sit down with their demo vises and try the for yourself. one brand does not fit all.

noreaster

Reaction score
I'm waiting for my Anvil Atlas to arrive. Its been 12 days since I placed the order. I'm getting impatient.:D

I researched and checked reviews. This one was what I liked. It is a little pricey at about $150.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
I've had my Renzetti Traveler for almost 20 years and am still happy with it. (I am also glad there isn't they same hype about getting the latest and greatest vise as there is about rods and reels.)

awkwardsportsman

Reaction score
Wow! So many choices! This isn't getting any easier lol! $100-$150 is about what I was thinking, but this makes it tough. Sounds like just personal preference? Is there any particular feason for your choice?

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
I'm waiting for my Anvil Atlas to arrive. Its been 12 days since I placed the order. I'm getting impatient.:D

I researched and checked reviews. This one was what I liked. It is a little pricey at about $150.
Got it and love it.

I'll admit that I wasn't in love at first but the more I use it, the more I like it.

The rotary function is a little tight at first but eventually loosens up with use.

The jaws have two notches in them - one closer to the base for larger hooks and on closer to the top for smaller hooks. Try to keep your hooks in there for the best holding power. For realllly small hooks (18 and smaller) staying outside of the grooves is OK.

EDIT: I should note that mine did not come with the extension arm to hold the bobbin when utilizing the rotary function...I had to buy that separately.

Last edited:

noreaster

Reaction score
Got it and love it.

I'll admit that I wasn't in love at first but the more I use it, the more I like it.

The rotary function is a little tight at first but eventually loosens up with use.

The jaws have two notches in them - one closer to the base for larger hooks and on closer to the top for smaller hooks. Try to keep your hooks in there for the best holding power. For realllly small hooks (18 and smaller) staying outside of the grooves is OK.
It's great you love it. I'm hoping so as well. I just got home and received word that it arrived. Wifey pooh is bringing it home from postal depot. Very happy. :frogdance

To the OP on reasons why. I read that it was the work horse of the vises and I am looking to buy only once. Made in the States, Jaws are O1 tool steel (very tough stuff) Rotary option is nice. That's about it. I really couldn't find any real negative critiques. There was a review I found where it scored nicely in its price bracket. If you search fly tying vise reviews I'm sure you could find it or some like it.

Good Luck and choose wisely.:D

williamhj

Reaction score
I got a Renzetti Traveler last year, and I really like it. I bought it after doing a bunch of reading (here and through google searches) and talking to some friends who tie with them and with other vises. I didn't do a bunch of comparison ties and don't know how helpful they would have been for me anyways. Any vise I have used has taken a bit of getting use to so unless you can borrow vises from friends to try for awhile it might be tough to really get a good feel for different brands. I used a Traveler at a friends for a weekend. Tied some dries down to 18's, some nice drake dries in 10s and 12s, and also spun some deer hair for bass on size 2 and 4 hooks. I found the jaws gripped different sized hooks very, very easily and they were secure even when spinning the hair. I found one for a bit off the normal price and it had a pedestal base so I bought it. If he'd owned a Peak or Anvil Atlas might I have bought one of those instead? Probably if I'd used it and liked it. One thing to look for is the hook range for the jaws that come on the vise and the Peak, Traveler, and Anvil Atlas all hold a wide range of hook sizes.

I'm sure they all have different features but a lot of what you're looking for comes down to holding the range of hooks you use securely and easily, providing a stable tying platform, and one that is built to last. The rotary function is nice but is secondary to those three, for me at least.

moucheur2003

Reaction score
Wow! So many choices! This isn't getting any easier lol! $100-$150 is about what I was thinking, but this makes it tough. Sounds like just personal preference? Is there any particular feason for your choice?
Really, there are a lot of vises that will do a good job. My own criteria for choosing one would be:

1. Will it hold a variety of sizes of hooks securely, so they don't move in the jaws when you are pulling tightly on your thread (for example, when spinning deer hair)?

2. Is the rotary feature configured so that the hook shank can be aligned precisely in the axis of rotation?

3. Does it have a bobbin cradle, and can the bobbin cradle be positioned precisely in the axis of rotation in line with the hook shank?

4. Does it look like it will last a good long while?

5. Is the base clamp designed to be able to attach to a wide range of table-top thicknesses?

rccola712

Reaction score
+1 on the Renzetti Traveler! I just bought one 6/8 months ago and I absolutely love it! I've never had a hook slip, and I can easily access the entire hook!

bruce m

Reaction score
Dyna-king Barracuda Jr
My vote goes to the dyna king also, although I have the full size. Smooth as silk, sturdy, and of course does its main function very well and that is hold hooks. I sure I can safely say, I will never need to buy another vise in my lifetime.

FISHN50

Reaction score
I have a Renzeti Master I got as a Christmas gift a few yrs. ago & a Nor Vise. I use the Nor for Streamers, Salmon flies etc. & the Renzeti for everything else. I've had the Nor vise for a number of years & never liked it, but hung on to it. I started using it again & still can't tie anything smaller than a 12 with it. I wouldn't advise that for a beginner. All the renzeti's are good vises, & so are the peaks, & Atlas's
My first rotary was a Griffen & that was a great low cost vise also. Just get the best vise you can comfortably afford so it'll last forever........

comeonavs

Reaction score
Peak Rotary is what I bought mostly due to the fact it is a local Colorado company and have met the co-owner and he is a good guy.

I did buy the midge jaws for tiny midges (20's and smaller). I love it on the heavy pedestal base and the rotary action is smooth and superbly balanced. Does everything I want at a fair price.

awkwardsportsman

Reaction score
Thanks again everyone for the advice!! I just tied (more like tried) up a couple one off flies, and am well convinced on fetting the new vise. After looking at all the options listed here and reading more reviews and listings I can imagine I have it nailed to the Renzetti or the Peak. Between those two will be a toss up. Same price, both fantastic from what everyone is saying, and they will both match the dog house I will be sleeping in when I get it :)