Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Down eye vs straight eye

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern California, OC
    Posts
    60

    Default Down eye vs straight eye

    As a beginner the one thing that is daunting is actually selecting the materials.

    I was at a local fly shop and was just staring at the wall of hooks. I went to the fly shop with the specific purpose of buying materials to tie some compara/sparkle dun.

    The material list called for Tiemco 100. As I was looking for the hook, I noticed the Tiemco 101. I didn't think anything of it and just got the 100s, but when I got home I started to think about the straight eye hook.

    When would you use a "straight eye" hooks vs. a "down eye?"

  2. #2

    Default Re: Down eye vs straight eye

    If you do some searching you'll find other threads discussing this is great detail, sometimes with great passion.

    I don't think about it too much and use both. The one time I prefer a down-eye over a straight eye is when tying parachute patterns, since it gives me a touch more room between the hackle and the hook eye. But I'll happily tie them on straight eyes if it's what I have around. I like the look of down-eyes better personally, but don't think it matters fishing.
    - William

  3. Likes quimby, fredaevans liked this post
  4. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston, Mass.
    Posts
    2,714

    Default Re: Down eye vs straight eye

    Quote Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
    I like the look of down-eyes better personally, but don't think it matters fishing.
    My feeling as well. Beck before the days of gossamer nylon monofilament tippets and improved clinch knots, an up- or down- eye was needed to set a Turle knot properly. You would often see dries from that era tied with an up-eye and wets with a down-eye, for reasons that I don't really understand. Now that thinner nylon makes knots like the Improved Clinch possible, though, the position of the eye against the shank doesn't direct the position of the leader, so the bent eye is no longer necessary. But it's still traditional.

  5. Likes quimby liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southern California, OC
    Posts
    60

    Default Re: Down eye vs straight eye

    Quote Originally Posted by williamhj View Post
    If you do some searching you'll find other threads discussing this is great detail, sometimes with great passion.

    I don't think about it too much and use both. The one time I prefer a down-eye over a straight eye is when tying parachute patterns, since it gives me a touch more room between the hackle and the hook eye. But I'll happily tie them on straight eyes if it's what I have around. I like the look of down-eyes better personally, but don't think it matters fishing.
    That confirms that I still suck at using the search function. I tried searching "down eye hooks" and it just gave me search results for "hooks".

    Thanks. Now that I think about it, the down-eye flies do look better.

    ---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by moucheur2003 View Post
    My feeling as well. Beck before the days of gossamer nylon monofilament tippets and improved clinch knots, an up- or down- eye was needed to set a Turle knot properly. You would often see dries from that era tied with an up-eye and wets with a down-eye, for reasons that I don't really understand. Now that thinner nylon makes knots like the Improved Clinch possible, though, the position of the eye against the shank doesn't direct the position of the leader, so the bent eye is no longer necessary. But it's still traditional.
    I have no idea what gossamer nylon or a Turle knot is, but I'll take your word for it.

    Sometimes it is best not to mess with tradition.

  7. #5

    Default Re: Down eye vs straight eye

    If you get to tying the tiny stuff, say #22 and smaller, you may prefer a straight eye. A bit easier to form a neat head and less obstruction to the gape.

  8. Likes quimby, wt bash liked this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Boston, Mass.
    Posts
    2,714

    Default Re: Down eye vs straight eye

    Quote Originally Posted by quimby View Post
    I have no idea what gossamer nylon or a Turle knot is, but I'll take your word for it.

    Sometimes it is best not to mess with tradition.
    I meant modern monofilament leader material, which is made of nylon. Before they invented nylon monofilament, leaders were made of silk and were much thicker, and knots made in them were weaker.

    A Turle knot passes through the hook eye and is tied around the shank.

    Turle Knot | Knot Tying | Survival Knots

    Thinner nylon tippets made it possible to tie the leader directly to the hook eye rather than the shank, with knots like the Improved Clinch.

  10. #7

    Default Re: Down eye vs straight eye

    Quote Originally Posted by quimby View Post
    That confirms that I still suck at using the search function. I tried searching "down eye hooks" and it just gave me search results for "hooks".
    Here's one of the threads, if you want to read through it. Actually some interesting discussion, but you'll see my view hasn't changed much for better or worse.
    - William

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
    Posts
    10,670

    Default Re: Down eye vs straight eye

    Just personal perspective here, but I'll take a pass with down eye hooks, especially the small ones. All that eye does is fill in the gape between between shaft/hook point.

    The other question (for me anyway) is what does the pull of the leader do to a up eye, down eye or 'Siwash' ring eye. With the straight eye the leader pull is straight on line with the hook point. For me, this brings a lot to the Party.

    For jollies take three hooks (up/down/straight) and attach a couple of foot of leader. Put hook around a round bit of something (pencil, chop stick, what-ever) and do a straight pull. Where does that hook point go under tension?

    Will hook design increase/decrease the odds of a solid grab? I'm sure it does, what's the best? I have no clue. Well one. The Salar Doubles are extraordinary.

    If you can find the damned things!

    fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

  12. #9
    turbineblade Guest

    Default Re: Down eye vs straight eye

    It doesn't matter to me -- both work.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Norwich, CT
    Posts
    1,807
    Blog Entries
    5

    Default Re: Down eye vs straight eye

    Quote Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
    It doesn't matter to me -- both work.
    same here.

    i'm sure thee are logical reasons to use one eye over the other. i'm not gonna loose any sleep over it.

    i like to tie my thread midges on tiemco 101's & sometimes wooly buggers on the daiichi straight eye hook. everything else is on down eye hooks.

    + most fish dont know the difference
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

    Norm

    http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Hook Eyes Up/Down/Straight?
    By popperfly in forum Fly Fishing How To's
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-14-2015, 01:17 PM
  2. Straight or Curved Sissors?
    By Jimmie in forum General Fly Tying Discussions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-18-2013, 12:11 AM
  3. 100 Fly Tying Hooks CHS2312 #12 Straight eye 2XL 1XF
    By Ebay USA in forum Fly Tying Equipment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2012, 10:30 AM
  4. straight leaders for nymphing?
    By jpd5184 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 02:00 PM
  5. Telescopic to straight stick?
    By Shane Stroud in forum Fly Rods
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-30-2008, 08:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •