I want to start tying

kicker19

Reaction score
Hey all, I've decided that I'm going to further my addiction of fly fishing by learning how to tie my own flies. I am asking for any suggestions (books, videos, suggestions of equipment, anything) on where and how to get started. I've seen videos on how to physically tie but have not seen any that break down types of material or proper construction of specific flies (like what does what and why). I haven't purchased any material, equip, or how to manuals, thought I should ask people who have experience to guide me in the right direction.

wt bash

Reaction score
You honestly can't go wrong with a kit. There are some decent ones out there these days that can get you started on the basics. As far as reading material and videos I can't help there but ask your questions here and they'll get sorted out.

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
I agree with Bash. I have seen a ton of people tell newbies to stay away from kits but in my opinion they are a great way to start. The kit I started on was from bass pro and came with a dvd for $60. Sure, some of the materials could have been a little better but over all it was a good value and got me started tying some very productive flies.

webrx

Reaction score

coug

Reaction score
Check with your local fly shop and see if they offer a class. I did that almost 20y ago and they also included a kit with everything you need, including the materials for the flys covered by the class. I used the vise and tools in the kit for several years before I started upgrading.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
To kit or not to kit? That's the question.

If cost is an issue, go at it. There are kits of various price points with different levels of quality tools and materials. Keep in mind that you'll probably be replacing a lot of the tools if you get into it. If starting inexpensively or if you are not very committed to fly tying, this is a good start.

If you are willing to go full steam into tying, buy everything a la carte. It will cost you more from the start, but you will get the better quality tools (especially the vise) and materials.

You can find some good resources without putting out too much effort. I am sure that Metro Atlanta has a fly fishing club and some fly fishing shops. Clubs usually have free lessons for their members. Shops usually hold classes, too. A Google search is your friend.

Dennis

fly_guy12955

Reaction score
If you DO get a kit,,,get just a 'materials' kit without tools if there is such a thing. Buy your own vise, and invest a little time in studying , asking questions about vise's (not vices,,ummm,,,that's not always a bad subject either...). Doesn't take many 'tool's' to do basic tying,and some of the best fun I've had is adding and tweaking my small tools as I've learned.

I love my Regal. So nice having a vise you never have to adjust. But some others vises offer other features that you may or many not want or need.

Wait till you start catching fish on your own flies,,,, learning some tying and using my own,,,it's been a big step for me. Worth every penny. And I'm still pretty new to it and already having a blast !

Good luck !

Michael

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Since you live in the Atlanta area, you should check out this organization and see if they offer fly tying classes also stop by the local fly shops as they usually will offer beginner classes: Atlanta Fly Fishing Club | The Largest & Most Active Fly Fishing Club in North Georgia.
Also get yourself a copy of Charlie Craven's book Basic Fly Tying, it is loaded with tying tips and will start out tying very simple patterns and progresses to more complex patterns and he lists out the materials needed for each pattern and in the beginning of the book goes over the various tools and what to look for in hackle and their various uses.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Cravens-Basic-Fly-Tying/dp/0979346029/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1363438024&sr=1-1&keywords=charlie+craven%27s+basic+fly+tying"]Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying: Modern Techniques for Flies That Catch Fish: Charlie Craven: 9780979346026: Amazon.com: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51maKAS6wSL.@@AMEPARAM@@51maKAS6wSL[/ame]

Flyfisher for men

Reaction score
Learn by doing.

Youtube works great. There's a guy named Dave Camiss, a Brit who ties good flies in an easy going, learners format. I highly recommend him.

The kit I bought had a booklet for some simple flies. It worked well enough.

Don't get too worried if your flies don't look perfect. Mine still don't, yet they catch fish. In nature, the deformed, misshapen, crippled, etc. tend to get eaten first. If your flies are catching, you've done fine. Let the fish critique your flies.

L

Liphookedau

Davie McPhail & David Strawhawn are also good to watch on you-Tube Tying Flies.
Brian

brucerducer

Reaction score
Kicker

If I were you, I would pay special heed to what "mcnerney" says.

He recommends a good book for you, and one of things to look for in a book, is that it give specific Recipes for flies.

Here are some basic Flies that you can start tying that are easy for beginners too. They don't require all kinds of tools.

(a) Wooly Bugger (b) Griffiths Gnat

(c) Rio Grande Worm or a very similar... Leech Pattern

(d) Sawyer's Killer Bug (e) Glow-Bug (an egg pattern)

Rather than look for a great many tools to use I would suggest you look into a very basic skill, like learning to apply Dubbing. All it takes is your fingers.

kicker19

Reaction score
thank you all for the input, i do appologize for having a kinda repeated thread, i must have overlooked them. that being said, thanks for the links to those threads and book suggestion, it is a mjor help. i am really excited about this!

flytire

Reaction score
charlie cravens book is an excellent book for beginners, you tube tyers show you how to tie fly patterns but most of them do not explain the how what when and why a certain technique is used but a good tying instructor will teach you all of that and more when you take fly tying lessons at your local fly shop. lessons will also shorten the learning curve.

i cannot recommend a fly tying kit as i do not have the financial resources to buy every brand out there, work with each and every kit and provide a proper evaluation. i don't think a lot of tyers can do that either. i would agree that there may be kits that are better than other kits but i have no knowledge of which ones.

do you pick a tying tools only kit?

do you pick a materials only kit?

do you pick a tools and materials kit?

(GOOGLE "fly tying kit" and you'll see what i mean)

i still believe your local fly shop is the best source for fly tying equipment and materials. most shops have a price point to meet everybody's needs.

thanks for looking

norm

jamescrawford

Reaction score
i just started not too long ago. i had $100 gift card to LL Bean. i bought their starter kit. it's made in india and it's called waspi or something like that. don't buy it. i'm a carpenter, and i appreciate quality, name brand tools. this vice just felt cheap. i'm not a fan of clamp on vices either.

coloradocaddis970

Reaction score
I would say get a kit with basics. Try it out and see if you get hooked. Then start to upgrade. piece at a time. Don't forget about your workspace...clean and tidy, well lit and comfortable, you may be spending more time there than you think.Check out Charlie's FlyBox - Metro Denver, Colorado's Best Fly Fishing Retailer (flyshop) with online Fly Tying Tutorials for some great patterns. Basic midges and buggers are where i started. Moved to nymphs and more complex streamers. Now I'm working on trying to perfect the dry flies. Find Patterns that work for you at your local shop, buy a few and go home and try to replicate them, maybe even dabble with different colors and see how it all goes. The feeling of hooking a beauty on your own homebrew is awesome! Best of luck and Tight Lines!!

Eddie O'Neill

Reaction score
I have nothing against kits, I'm sure there are some very good ones out there. Best advice I had when I started was to concentrate on a half dozen patterns only. Get the materials for them and build from there.
As has been said already, Davie McPhail is a fantastic fly dresser, his videos are some of the best.

quimby

Reaction score
I took a class at the local fly shop and it was worth it. There is nothing like hands on instruction when you are first starting.

The youtube videos are great, but most of them assume you know the techniques they are talking about.

The class I took went over even the simplest of things like putting the hook into the vice, holding the bobbin, starting thread, etc. Those concepts would seem simple or obvious to a veteran, but I was happy that they covered it.

My biggest advice is don't get discouraged. I have been doing it only for couple months now, but I admit there were times when I would have to start flies over again. In the end those mistakes helped me realize what I was doing wrong earlier.