Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
  1. Default My recent efforts

For the past 6 months, I have carefully watched many videos about tying a Crawdad Pattern. I have had my own ideas in mind, so finally, in the past week, the pattern was successfully completed. I have a few details to work out, but I am rather happy with the results.

The pattern is one I call "The Coffee Bag Crawdad" because I make the Shell or carapace of the small crawdad with the foil bag of a gourmet coffee, which is shiny brown.

With some 5 min epoxy, it shines right up. I will print the full recipe when I have time.

------------------------------------------------------

Also, I want to tie an epoxy minnow / Threadfin Shad imitation

But I want you guys to see this. I find it hard to beat this. I've known about this for years, and this lure is made by a company that does not even make Flies. But I cannot beat this I think. Look at this:

Creme Lure Company :: Creme Lure Company :: Silver Side Minnow (Click Image for Colors)

Not that it comes in 2 weights; 1/16th oz and 1/32nd oz

Last edited by brucerducer; 03-18-2013 at 10:01 AM.
    Welcome to the world of Fly Crying

Default Re: My recent efforts

Nice Minnow! And I thought they only made plastic worms!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

3. Likes brucerducer liked this post
  4. Default Re: My recent efforts

Hey Boz:

If I tied an Epoxy Minnow, about all I could to was get a little more "oval" shape to the head of the minnow, and make the tail not so long.

But for sheer simplicity, I have always been in awe of these. I've ordered a bunch to tide me over until I can tie my own pattern of it.

You know, sometimes, it just pays to buy the commercial version and use it until you can do better.

I love the 2 different weights. I think the 1/16 oz model will drop to the bottom fairly quick.

I am sure they will work for warmwater fish, but not so sure about River dwelling trout.

Default Re: My recent efforts

Quote Originally Posted by brucerducer View Post
    I have had my own ideas in mind, so finally, in the past week, the pattern was successfully completed. I have a few details to work out, but I am rather happy with the results.

The pattern is one I call "The Coffee Bag Crawdad" because I make the Shell or carapace of the small crawdad with the foil bag of a gourmet coffee, which is shiny brown.

With some 5 min epoxy, it shines right up. I will print the full recipe when I have time.

Any pics of this illusive crawdad? I was all excited to see your latest efforts.
    "Whale oil beef hooked !"- Traditional east coast fishermen saying

6. Default Re: My recent efforts

Noreaster:

Thanks; but I am one of those guys who doesn't even know how to work a digital camera, let alone put the pic online.

However, If someone here can volunteer to do that part, I can mail them the Coffee Bag Crawdad to keep.