2nd day tying flies!!

streamwalker

Reaction score
Welp started tying a few flies last night tied a few eggs and some nymphs. Got surprised by a new 8 wt rod so I went to the fly shop today and got some materials for bigger flies. So far I'm loving tying my own flies and can't wait to have stocked shelves of any fly I want!! Here's some pictures

Now I just tied this one I figured out the trick to spinning deer hair and the results look good!!!

gt05254

Reaction score
LOL, and in no time at all, like many of us, especially me, you'll be spending so much on materials that each of the many flies you envision will only be costing you 2 or 3 times what you can buy them for at the discount fly store!

Good for you, they are looking great.
Gary

streamwalker

Reaction score
Thanks guys!! And yess lol I left the fly shop today with 98$ less in my wallet!! But I got the uv light and glue too which is awesome!

But I wasn't happy with the deer hair on the first 3 but the last 2 have made me happy!

brucerducer

Reaction score
Streamwalker:

These are beautiful.

As you gain experience, you will find ways to reduce the cost of your materials.

I have a heavier rod also, because like you, I pursue fish that get to about 20 pounds etc.

I also rely upon a 6 weight.

Keep tying and you will enjoy it all the more.

:secret:

Last edited:

silver creek

Reaction score
Now I just tied this one I figured out the trick to spinning deer hair and the results look good!!!

Those are really impressive for a beginner!

It looks like you trimmed the deer hair above with above a pair of scissors.

Here's a better way, but you have to be careful.

Break a double edged razor blade in half lengthwise. You can use two pliers to do it or two hemostats.

Then use masking tape to tape up the broken end so that it is safe to grab and it gives a surface the your fingers won't slip off of. Now there is a cutting edge on only one side and the blade is safer to use.

Unlike a single edged razor blade, a broken double edged blade can be bent into an arc and the bent blade can then be used to shave the head deer hair flies so that they are round. Rather trying to make a round shape with straight cuts, you make a round shape with the rounded edge of the bent blade.

yonder

Reaction score
Looking good!!!! I'm thinking smallmouth bass on the New River, just outside of West Jefferson!!! There's this big pool with an undercut bank behind the church at....................................:D:D:D:

stimmy7

Reaction score
Be careful when you start casting these big bullet heads... an exuberant back cast can result in a shattered rod !! And if you allow the fly to drop too far, you may see an ear go sailing by you!