Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vise Short List what to pick

Default Re: Vise Short List what to pick

Quote Originally Posted by boomslang View Post
    3. Peak Rotary vise: I hear that a lot of people use this vise. Is it too bulky and heavy around the jaw? Also, what is the build quality and what are the durability issues with this vise. How would you compare it with the Blackfoot or the Atlas.
    B
    Hi,
    I have been tying on the Peak rotary for a while now and find it bulletproof and built like a tank. I hope that I never drop the thing on my foot. I have large hands and found it tough tying small patterns (<20) on the std jaws. However Peak makes / sells 'midge' jaws for the vise and since installing those, I have not had any issues.
    The vise is easy to adjust and grips very nicely. The fit and finish is quite good (for its price bracket).

2. Likes jaybo41 liked this post
    Blog Entries

2013 renzetti traveler $160
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

4. Default Re: Vise Short List what to pick

Hi Boomslang:

You can try the "Mark III" vise sold on e-bay. It is well within your budget.
    Welcome to the world of Fly Crying

Default Vise Short List what to pick

Love my 2013 renzetti traveler

6. Default Re: Vise Short List what to pick

I think you can't go wrong with any of those vises.

I couldn't find a Renzetti Traveler for less that $194.00.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post

I couldn't find a Rezetti Traveler for less that $194.00.

Randy
    Yea I just paid that for mine but its worth it!

[QUOTE=boomslang;539002]Hi there,
    Ashamed to admit that I have been fly fishing for 10 years, but never tied a fly before.
    Don't worry a Friend I Fish with has been Flyfishing since The late 60s & he still buys most of his Flies except The ones I Give him to Match The Hatch.

These Days I Mainly use an Atlas which I find quite Good,I also have one I made years ago,a Dyna King plus a few more Smaller ones.
    There are lots of good Vises arouind,you shouldn't have to spend 150 Bucks check out Ebay & you might pick up a Bargain.
    Brian.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by boomslang View Post
    1. Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose: not sure about the quality and durability issues.

2. Anvil Atlas: Any comment about the quality and durability would be great.

3. Peak Rotary vise: Also, what is the build quality and what are the durability issues with this vise.
    i would recommend a trip to your local fly shop, tying club, tu meeting or even your tying buddies to handle each one of these vises and get a feel for each one of them.

these companies would have gone out of business a long time ago if they werent producing quality products. each vise may have a different fit and finish than the other but that doesnt qualify for bad quality

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post

I couldn't find a Renzetti Traveler for less that $194.00.

Randy
    the 2013 edition of the traveler is $160. check out the renzetti website or even feather craft.

http://www.renzetti.com/index.php?op...=79&Itemid=194

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.ph...y&target=RR057
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

10. Likes jaybo41 liked this post
  11. Default Re: Vise Short List what to pick

Good point about the quality of the available vises. Unfortunately, I am very limited in my ability to test all the vises.

More I am looking at the 2013 Renzetti Travelers, more I like it. What is the real life difference between anodized (2200 or 2300 series) vs. plain aluminum (2000 series) parts. Durability? or just looks?

Also, i am thinking, if I get the anodized Traveler vise for $190+, why not just get the HMH Spartan. Any comments?

I would like to hear more about the Griffin Blackfoot Mongoose. How does it compare to the Peak vise.

Thank you for all the great information.

B

I think mainly looks. U gotta think how much abuse Is it Guna take sitting on your desk?? Now if your going down the river in a float tube tying flies that may be different. I like the size of the traveler and the jaws have held anything from size 18 to size 4 just fine so far.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast