Mottled Turkey Quill Bad Oder?

dewbar

Reaction score
So I received some mottled turkey quills I ordered from ebay. They have a really bad chemical smell. It made me light headed. Any idea why it would smell like this?

flytire

Reaction score
If the smell is making him light headed as he said in his post, it is doing him harm.

Send them back or throw them out. Buy from a reputable local fly shop or online fly shop.

Email the eBay seller with your concerns.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Put them in a loose bag in the garage and let them air out until you can't smell the offensive odor any longer. They should be fine.

dewbar

Reaction score
i asked him he said "Smell is moth balls. It keeps the bugs from infesting the feathers and the skins. Sorry for the smell but with all the feathers and skins I have I need to do all that I can to prevent infestation."
ive got them airing out by the window hopefully they will stop smelling. thanks

flytire

Reaction score
30+ years of tying and never needed moth balls. Yet! But I try to inspect all animal tying materials prior to buying

eBay would not be my personal choice to buy tying materials. The photo may look fine but what they send out could be junk. Buyer beware!

You can also use cedar balls, whole cloves (yes, the spice), pest strips and even pieces fluffys dog collar