Bobbins and bobbin threaders

awkwardsportsman

Reaction score
I went to the Great Waters Fly Fishing Expo today and picked up a new full ceramic bobbin. I also picked up a bobbin threader. My question is this: Does the bobbin threader score the inside of the ceramic tube?

It feels like when I push the threader down theough the tube that it is grinding the inside of the tube. Obviously I dont want this to happen. Does anyone have thoughts or experiences with this?

L

Liphookedau

You will find The Threader won't score the Ceramic it might discolour it in fact ceramic is a Very Hard Wear Resistant Material which can Withstand Enormous Heat however the opposite will occur The Threader over time will wear depending on how much use it's given.
There is one disadvantage Ceramic is Very Hard & if The Bobbin Holder is Dropped it can be Damaged or Broken so I'd suggest don't use it on any Hard Floors.
Brian.

bruce m

Reaction score
There was another recent thread on what tools to buy for a beginner, it may have been your thread. In that thread a poster, forget who, suggested doing away with the threader all together and just suck the thread up through the tube once started. I've never heard of doing that until then and decided to give it a try. Well its super simple and no need for another gadget, my threader is gone for good. Thanks to whoever that was with the original suggestion.

awkwardsportsman

Reaction score
That is what i have been doing, but i feel sometimes it is a pain, i guess it is trial by fire. I just dont want to break an expensive bobbin because of my laziness lol.

williamhj

Reaction score
There was another recent thread on what tools to buy for a beginner, it may have been your thread. In that thread a poster, forget who, suggested doing away with the threader all together and just suck the thread up through the tube once started. I've never heard of doing that until then and decided to give it a try. Well its super simple and no need for another gadget, my threader is gone for good. Thanks to whoever that was with the original suggestion.
I know it wasn't me :) I've done it many times when I've been without a threader or just couldn't find mine. It works but I find threaders very easy to use and they always work. I've also whip finished by hand and tied pheasant tail nymphs using the wire in place of thread but don't do it all the time. Loading the bobbin without a threader is a good thing to know how to do but personally I use the tool that makes it easier.

awkwardsportsman

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you! I will try the dental floss threader or revert to lumg power. I just feel wierd "grinding" the inside of the bobbin holder. Even if it does not harm it, my brain has a hard time grasping that

Jackster

Reaction score
Dental Floss Threader, they work great, I get them at Wal-Mart
These work and work very well. I just stocked up on them for our clubs tying classes, my tying desk and my travel bag.
I find them at regular drug stores. There you don't have to walk miles of aisles and more miles to and from your car in the parking lot to get them.
If you know anyone with braces or having bridgework done their dentist will probably give them a supply.

sumojo

Reaction score
I have been using my lung power after my son broke my threader playing with it I was gonig to buy another one but never got around to it after seeing some one do it like that .

coug

Reaction score
Yup. I ordered a new bobbin a few weeks ago and it came with one dental floss threader. I did not know what it was and was worried I was going to lose it until I emailed the maker and he educated me! I bought a pack of 50 or 100 for a few dollars. They work great.

brucerducer

Reaction score

Yeah, Dental Floss Threader, that's the ticket!

My store bought Brand Name Threader does not spread out very much and it is hard to use sometimes. The wife thinks it's a nightmare to work with.

I am going to pick up that Dental Floss at the store.

You are a good egg "bear007".

awkwardsportsman

Reaction score
Awesome! I picked up some dental floss threaders and they work great! I have to say it is easier than lung power. I keep one hanging from my bobbin cradle so I dont lose it on the table. Thanks for the idea guys!

quimby

Reaction score
I went to the Great Waters Fly Fishing Expo today and picked up a new full ceramic bobbin. I also picked up a bobbin threader. My question is this: Does the bobbin threader score the inside of the ceramic tube?

It feels like when I push the threader down theough the tube that it is grinding the inside of the tube. Obviously I dont want this to happen. Does anyone have thoughts or experiences with this?
What is the brand of bobbin you got, if you don't mind me asking?

Also when you say "full ceramic" does that mean entire tube i ceramic?

I was weary of getting the Griffin one because I wasn't sure if the ceramic went throughout the tube or if it was only on the ends.

oarfish

Reaction score
The Griffin bobbins that I use only have the ceramics on the two ends, I use the Griffin short bobbins as for a threader I use the G-U-M Floss Threaders, I use my old wire threaders for rod building.

Rick

quimby

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the Griffin bobbin. I guess that is why they are a bit cheaper than the full ceramic tube style bobbins.

I think I'm going to pick up a Tiemco Ceramic Heavy Duty bobbin. Dave McPhail was using one in his video for the pheasant tail nymph. I thought I could get away with a cheaper non-ceramic type for wire, but that does not seem to be the case.

bruce m

Reaction score
If you are just going to use them for wire forget the expensive ceramic, save that for your threads, use the cheap steel tubes for wire or lead.