couple mounted salmon flies

Reaction score
Got these little table top mounts yesterday in the mail and put two of my best salmon flies in them.
Flies have been posted previously, just want to show you guys how they look in the mount.

Floodtide

Rosy Dawn

pkins44

Reaction score
Beautiful flies and mounts. If I could tie anything that looked half as nice I may have asked where you ordered them from.

stimmy7

Reaction score
1) these are beautiful!
2) I must admit I had a STRANGE IMAGE in my head when I read this subject line
3) if I'm NOT mistaken, these holders look a lot like a baseball card "snap" holder with an adhesive button for the hook. The wood appears to be a shaped piece of oak with a simple saw kerf, then stained.

Reaction score
Thanks all, for the comments!

3) if I'm NOT mistaken, these holders look a lot like a baseball card "snap" holder with an adhesive button for the hook. The wood appears to be a shaped piece of oak with a simple saw kerf, then stained.
You'd be right on there.

If I had the tools, and knowledge, i'd make them myself, but i have neither. If you know of someone who is interested to knock up a few more of the wood blocks, i'm all ears. the snap holders are easy to source.

Eunan

stimmy7

Reaction score
If there are any cabinet shops around you (or moulding shops) you could take that block into them and ask them to fabricate them for you... it appears to be 1" thick by 4" wide oak, routed quarter round on the ends, then a dado blade used to cut the groove.

These could be hand sanded, stained and spray finished. Just make sure you take in one plexi holder so they can get the groove right.

If they took a solid plank, they could quarter round the entire piece lengthwise, use a jig to setup the saw for the grooves, then slice them off assembly line style- at 3" wide, you'd get 20+ of them out of a 6' length of wood =)

Reaction score
If there are any cabinet shops around you (or moulding shops) you could take that block into them and ask them to fabricate them for you... it appears to be 1" thick by 4" wide oak, routed quarter round on the ends, then a dado blade used to cut the groove.

These could be hand sanded, stained and spray finished. Just make sure you take in one plexi holder so they can get the groove right.

If they took a solid plank, they could quarter round the entire piece lengthwise, use a jig to setup the saw for the grooves, then slice them off assembly line style- at 3" wide, you'd get 20+ of them out of a 6' length of wood =)
i know just the man who might be able to help...

thanks.

pkins44

Reaction score
You also need an engraved plaque with the names of your art work. Just saying if you're going to show them off (which you should) put your name on it as well as the name of the flies. Start the collection. I'd pay to have a collection of your salmon flies on my wall or shelf. Just saying.

Pocono

Reaction score
I think that the holder looks nice (the flies always look nice!). It's less formal than the usual shadow box display; open, airy and gives a great look to the fly. The wooden base is also good, although I wonder what it would like like in a burl or something more along the lines of reel seat wood.

Pocono