1mm foam

williamhj

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good source for 1mm foam in various colors? I've found a number of sites that carry black and white and River Road Creations carries some colors in 1mm (just ordered some) but I'm wondering what else is out there?

The foam I've seen in most shops and in places like walmart tends to be 2mm and no, I'm not going to try to slice it in half :)

jaybo41

Reaction score
Have a look at Hook & Hackle and search "Razor". They have Razor Foam in 1mm in white, yellow, orange, brown, red, damsel blue, olive, black and chartreuse. They are a staple in my rotation of tying material sources.

This begs the question, what are you tying that makes you want 1mm as opposed to 2mm?

williamhj

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I'll check it out.

I'm tying some small ants and find the 2mm wrapped around the shank seems thick. I've read/seen some folks using 1mm and figure it's worth a try.

spiderninja

Reaction score
I found 8 x 12 sheets of 1mm foam at hobby lobby for about $1.5 a piece. They had bright colors like red and yellow. But they had black and brown too. Of course they didn't have the 10 variations of brown that are specific to bugs, but the price was right.

planettrout

Reaction score
Razor Foam comes packaged in both (in the same package) .5mm and 1mm...love the stuff...I use it for under bodies on small dry patterns, burst wing cases on nymphs and for split case Baetis, PMD's and any other May Fly that is out there:

It gives a "wobble effect" to the fly that Trout find particularly enticing, when used in the thorax area...

PT/TB :)

Last edited:

jaybo41

Reaction score
I know I had bought some foam sheets at Michael's but couldn't remember if it was 1mil or 2mil. The arachnid ninja brings up a good point, craft/hobby shops might be a good place to look for it too.

Razor Foam comes packaged in both (in the same package) .5mm and 1mm...love the stuff...I use it for under bodies on small dry patterns, burst wing cases on nymphs and for split case Baetis, PMD's and any other May Fly that is out there:

It gives a "wobble effect" to the fly that Trout find particularly enticing, when used in the thorax area...

PT/TB :)

PT, those are incredible looking ties! I'll take a dozen or two:D

Would you mind sharing the recipe?

planettrout

Reaction score
I know I had bought some foam sheets at Michael's but couldn't remember if it was 1mil or 2mil. The arachnid ninja brings up a good point, craft/hobby shops might be a good place to look for it too.

PT, those are incredible looking ties! I'll take a dozen or two:D

Would you mind sharing the recipe?
Here 'ya go:

SPLIT/ WING CASE BAETIS NYMPH

HOOK: Daiichi 1130, #16-#22, TMC 2487, #16-#22, Mustad c49s, #16-#22

THREAD: Gordon Griffith 14/0, Sheer, Gray

TAIL: Lemon Woodduck

ABDOMEN: Premo Goose Biots, Blue Winged Olive, or Olive, or Natural

RIB: Largutan, x-fine Gold wire

THORAX: Wapsi Beaver Dubbing, Dark Tan

LEGS: Lemon Wooduck

UNDER WING CASE: Wapsi, Razor Foam, Translucent Dun, 1.0 MM

OVER WING CASE: Spirit River Holographic Mylar Motion, 1/64″, Black…three strands, each side, to edge of pulled over foam, this IS tricky…patience prevails

PT/TB:p

dhayden

Reaction score
I use the small stuff .5 or 1, usually yellow on small split back nymphs

Michaels, I think their small stuff is 2mm

williamhj

Reaction score
I ordered some from HandH, thanks again!

I look forward to seeing the patterns posted - at work and the forum works but most pictures don't load. Lot's of folks online I guess plus patients watching youtube videos or something :) Thanks again!

jaybo41

Reaction score
Here 'ya go:

SPLIT/ WING CASE BAETIS NYMPH

HOOK: Daiichi 1130, #16-#22, TMC 2487, #16-#22, Mustad c49s, #16-#22

THREAD: Gordon Griffith 14/0, Sheer, Gray

TAIL: Lemon Woodduck

ABDOMEN: Premo Goose Biots, Blue Winged Olive, or Olive, or Natural

RIB: Largutan, x-fine Gold wire

THORAX: Wapsi Beaver Dubbing, Dark Tan

LEGS: Lemon Wooduck

UNDER WING CASE: Wapsi, Razor Foam, Translucent Dun, 1.0 MM

OVER WING CASE: Spirit River Holographic Mylar Motion, 1/64″, Black…three strands, each side, to edge of pulled over foam, this IS tricky…patience prevails

PT/TB:p
Thanks PT, that fly looks most excellent.

quimby

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good source for 1mm foam in various colors? I've found a number of sites that carry black and white and River Road Creations carries some colors in 1mm (just ordered some) but I'm wondering what else is out there?

The foam I've seen in most shops and in places like walmart tends to be 2mm and no, I'm not going to try to slice it in half :)
Not the 1mm you are looking for, intheriffle.com has some in .5 mm. Their color supply is limited, but this site has free shipping for any orders >$10. I'm sure we all know how easy it is to spend >$10.

Micro Thin Razor Foam Fly Tying Material :: FREE SHIPPING BUY ONLINE

williamhj

Reaction score
Thanks Quimby, I saw some .5mm on the River Road Creations site too and will give it a try for really small stuff :) I'm interested to see how effective it will be floating small dries. Also picked up some of their mayfly body cutters in small sizes to play around with. Fun to try new materials and see some great pictures of what others have done.

L

Liphookedau

A couple of years ago I bought a pack off The US Ebay site it's really good & was cheap I use it mainly for my Beetles & Crickets.

PT,Some more Nice Patterns
Brian.