Last fly i'll ever tie....

Reaction score
Going out on high note, this is the last fly i'll ever tie

Just not got the same motivation any longer, financially, spiritually, creatively.

Yesterday i did this fella, a no name freestyle fly, will put him in frame and put him on the wall.

Over the next couple days, i'll be listing all my materials, vise, rods, reels, the whole shebang....

Thanks for looking

Eunan

littledavid123

Reaction score
Not funny Eunan...I'm reading your post and thinking, yikes I haven't even started tying salmon flies yet and the master is retiring. Very Good One...:wavetowel

Dave

jaybo41

Reaction score
Ok, I'll admit...you had me until I started reading the others posts. Well played Eunan! For a brief moment, I considered driving across the PA Pike to stalk you and do my best to talk some sense into you! :D

By the way, that's ANOTHER beautiful tie :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reaction score
up until the mid 1800's, hooks were made with no eyes. They eyes were formed from twisted silk worm gut.
In fact, right through the early 1900's, blind eye hooks were used as the eyed hooks were 'not fully trusted' as having fish holding ability.

Virtually all classic salmon flies, and early trout flies were tied on blind eye hooks, with gut eyes, or horse hair snells in the case of some trout/bass flies.

Eunan

quimby

Reaction score
up until the mid 1800's, hooks were made with no eyes. They eyes were formed from twisted silk worm gut.
In fact, right through the early 1900's, blind eye hooks were used as the eyed hooks were 'not fully trusted' as having fish holding ability.

Virtually all classic salmon flies, and early trout flies were tied on blind eye hooks, with gut eyes, or horse hair snells in the case of some trout/bass flies.

Eunan
Here is another noob question:

Can you tie regular knots (clinch) or do you have to use a special loop type of knot?

Also when you use those flies, what does it look like coming out of the water? The flies you tie look so amazing, but I was wonder what they look like after they get wet.

Reaction score
I dont fish with these flies. They are for display only.
If i was to fish the patterns i'd use eyed hooks.

In terms of coming out of the water, I cant speak for the salmon flies, but for winged wet trout flies, the wings become unmarried and 'mixed' fibers.

They look nothing like you see them in the photos i post - same will apply to the salmon flies.

Pitzen knot is the one i'd use on gut eyed flies, and even eyed hooks, give the fly more movement in the water.

Eunan