Good Online Shop for Quality Fly Tying Materials

boomslang

Reaction score
Hi There,
I would like your suggestions on a good online store/source for quality fly tying materials. I do not need the cheapest available. But, I am interested in quality materials at a decent price. I have been checking with my local fly shop, but I find their selection to be pretty limited.

I am interested to know about both Trout fly materials and Salmon/steelhead fly materials. A store with good variety and deep inventory would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.

B.

gt05254

Reaction score
Two of my favorites (you can add the www. and the .com because hotlinks here are, I believe, a no-no): stoneriveroutfitters and redshedflyshop

Gary

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
One of the things I like about the Red Shed shop is that when everyone went hackle crazy for hair extensions, the Red Shed put right on their site that they were not selling to hair people. I believe the exact words were "if you can't talk the talk don't even try". That puts him up in my book.

Reaction score
There are blogs all over the internet and some of them:icon_wink:icon_wink have lists down the left hand side with a list of reputable fly tying materials stores!!

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Two of my favorites (you can add the www. and the .com because hotlinks here are, I believe, a no-no): stoneriveroutfitters and redshedflyshop

Gary
Gary: Links are fine, especially when you are replying to a request for information. What we frown on is self-promoting links, where it looks like the only reason someone comes on the site is to promote their business.

Larry

boomslang

Reaction score
Good info. I am familiar with poppy and Red Shed. Cool. Would like more suggestions. Also, are there any ebay store you frequently use or would recommend as a good supplier.

moucheur2003

Reaction score

jaybo41

Reaction score
ALWAYS support your local fly shop followed by any sponsors of theis website

try GOOGLING the following

jstockard

hook & hackle

the fly shop

bear lodge angler

feather craft

bears den

stone river outfitters

fly tyers dungeon

jims fly shop

just remember there is no "mother" of all fly shop or online suppliers as no one can carry all materials
Right on flytire, I completely agree. It's good to have multiple sources and your list is solid.

The shops posted by all seem to get repeat mention or of the ones I've dealt with I always recommend. I hear Great Feathers has an incredible selection of materials as well. Another shop that has not been mentioned that I and recommend is Performance Flies. Kevin Compton is a super guy and has harder to find items not seen in lots of shops.

random user

Reaction score
One of the things I like about the Red Shed shop is that when everyone went hackle crazy for hair extensions, the Red Shed put right on their site that they were not selling to hair people. I believe the exact words were "if you can't talk the talk don't even try". That puts him up in my book.
That's a good thing to know. Might actually get past the satisfactionnessly-challenged experiences I've had in the past and buy materials on line.

I've driven 3 hours to a fly shop I know and 3 hours back just to get $20 of materials. (Granted I do find excuses to drive, and I rebuilt the car I am driving by stripping it down to the unibody and then building back out, a little differently configured than stock.)

random user

Reaction score
I can get back to getting a line wet and decorating trees again, and tying up some decorations. It's a '92 VW GTI with a engine/trans for autocross and a road racing suspension - not fun in stop-n-go traffic. Doesn't look like much or go all that fast, but is sure does get there quickly!

quimby

Reaction score
Gotta give love to Bob Marriott's.

-------------------------------

How about blue-ribbon-flies.com? I'm thinking about ordering some zelon dubbing and it seems like they are the only ones who carry them. Do they have some kind of exclusive rights to zelon?

coug

Reaction score
Red Shed is my local shop and cannot say enough good things about Poppy and his crew. His selection for steelhead materials is outstanding. Waterswest is another good source for salmon/steelhead. Had another shop I used to recommend but bought a cape and it was infested, so do not use them anymore. For general trout stuff the shops mentioned above are great. I try to buy more local so it gets here in a reasonable time so I use flyfishusa, leland, and the caddis fly shops.

brucerducer

Reaction score
Also take a look at J Stockard and Feathercraft.
Yes, the J. Stockard catalog is a fine thing to have.

For example, I had never even heard of "Swimming Hooks"
(half of hook behind the eye bent upward like a moving nymph)
until one day the catalog arrived and I found it.
The hook is the Daiichi 1770 and I've ordered bunches of them.

I've ordered different things from a handful of shops, the box stores and e-bay also can be a good source of supply, but watch those shipping costs.
Some of those e-bay dealers will scalp a fellow on the shipping costs.:thumbsup:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
That's Mike (Poppy). He is "The Man" if it has anything to do with Spey Rod Fishing. Anything.

:fishing:

One other very good place is "flyfishusa." Another major player in the 2hander world. Know about the Sandy River Spey 'Clave? That's Mark.

fae