Material Quest

theboz

Reaction score
I tie quite a few baitfish patterns and crusteacians with Antron Fiber. Currently i get it from my fly shop in small packages from a PA company called HiVis and its just great stuff. It comes in a bunch of colors but the way it comes its great if you were dubbing but not so great for streamers and flys that need the fibers fairly lined up. Ive tried carpet stores for scraps or even medium size pieces but with only minimal success.
So basically what Im looking for if anyone has seen or used it is Antron Fiber either on a patch or in rug form or anyway that would have it so the fibers could be cut in nice clumps.Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

bigfishcatcher

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this helps you, but if you take apart nylon webbing, and brush the stuff inside it out with velcro, it's a lot like antron

itchmesir

Reaction score
i'd like to see some of these patterns... could maybe better point you in a direction... have you checked out Flytyersdungeon?

flytire

Reaction score
i have no problems pulling a few hivis fibers out of the package

use a pair of tweezers if your fingers are too big or you just want to pull some fibers

you can take the entire wad out of the baggie, pull the amount of fibers you need and then just fold the wad to return to the baggie

Remove the hiviz and use a rubber band or a twist tie to keep it together

Be creative, experiment

Last edited:

Rip Tide

Reaction score
The yarn used for "hooking" rugs is antron and comes in bolts that look like this.
The stuff is perfect for flies like merkins and toads. It just needs to be combed out.

silver creek

Reaction score
I tie quite a few baitfish patterns and crusteacians with Antron Fiber. Currently i get it from my fly shop in small packages from a PA company called HiVis and its just great stuff.
Can you post a close up photo of the material so we can see the color and appearance?

theboz

Reaction score
I think so.
Someone once gave me a shopping bag full. A life time supply.
So I've never had to go looking for it.
Myself and another guy have been looking for a source for this stuff for quite sometime now. With all the rug stores and contractors we talked to never crossed my mind that people make rugs! Thanks again!

depenner

Reaction score

theboz

Reaction score
Try the Hobby Lobby--look for hook rug yarns. If you're having difficulty finding it there, try

M.C.G. Textiles - Exclusive Heritage Rug Hook™ kits, Graph N Latch® products, Craft Extras and Simply Wood kits are but a few of the new and exciting products we have chosen to bring enjoyment and pleasure into your life.

MCG is out of California. They have a lot of different colors of hook rug yarn. The bags contain approx. 300 pieces in 2.5 inch lengths.

david
Cool! Thank you.