What epoxy???

Rudolf

Reaction score
I am going to make some flies with epoxy heads and eyes stick to the head before the epoxy is applied. What is the best epoxy to use for this?? I know it will be a five minute epoxy, but what type/brand is the best.
Please, let me know.

Flityer

Reaction score
Hello Rudolf,
There are two that come to mind that work great and give you a lasting finnish and they would be Devcon or Z-Poxy you can buy them online and they run about $15- $17. Both are 5 minute epoxy and should work well for you.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
I seen a couple epoxys at my local hardware store and they were running 4 to 6 bux? wonder what brands they were? wouldn't any 5 minute epoxy work?

Flityer

Reaction score
Hi GeorgeMcFly,

You are right any epoxy will work as long as it dries clear and remains that way. I just listed these because I have used them and they work great don't fade, yellow or crackle not to mention you can do hundreds of flies with one kit so you don't have to purchase it often.

GeorgeMcFly

Reaction score
oh ok didn't kno what colors they turned? thats why I asked. will have to check out if it says it dries clear. I will get some and try to tie some flys using it.. what flies call for it? I see some zonker patterns do. I fish freshwater for bass, gills,cats and steelhead. not trying to steal your thread I am new to this also.

jimw

Reaction score
I use devcon in the twin syringe unless something else is on sale don't make a bunch up they will yellow slightly after about 4 months, faster with more uv rays. Here are a few of my sand eel, and mullet patterns with devcon. A good way to use epoxxy is to use post it notes to mix on and a toothpick to mix it and apply with.
Jim

Attachments

Alex Guthrie

Reaction score
try initially sticking the eyes with 1) 5 second finger nail glue or 2) krazy glue( i use the one with the little brush applicator) do not apply the eye glue until the thread glue is completly dry(some glues will not work well together thus preventing the eyes to stick altogether)- be careful not to disturb the eyes to much (it's tempting to reposition them) - allow the eyes to completely set ( a few minutes) and then apply your 30 minute 2 part epoxy.

good luck!

shorthaul

Reaction score
I mentioned uv glue in the other epoxy thread ---well i bought some and started fooling around with it over the weekend. Its made by Loon Outdoor and the one i bought was knot sense and I got the little battery powered uv light.

I tried glueing eyes on deceivers and building heads on clousers---I would squeeze out some glue (its really thick) move the glue with a piece of spagetti (break the end off so its new all the time) and shine the light on it.

A few seconds and its hard. I coated it with "Hard as Nails" to get the gloss and it looks good.

FISHN50

Reaction score
I like those "HARDMAN" 5 min epoxy pacs. They seem to last a season or 2 before yellowing. They are great if your only doing 2 or 3 flies at a time. They're also a good item to have a few of in your wader bag for any emergency repairs that come up on a trip. They've saved the day a few times for me.

SouthernSteve

Reaction score
I've been working with epoxy flies for about 15 years now. I've found Devcon to be the best for me.

I used Devcon 2-Ton Epoxy when I'm using the stuff as a body/head coating. For flies with an epoxy body, I used Devcon 5-Minute Epoxy.

With the 2-ton, I can do about 6-8 flies. I have a "rotisserie" at my tying bench.

You can get Devcon for less than $2 per syringe at Wal-Mart.

Rudolf

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers. I normally use a lot of 5 min Devcon in other applications, and I really like it. But, some time back at our TU meeting we had a speaker and he said "any epoxy, but Devcon". So i asked him why not Devcon, but he turned away and gave no answer. No, I will not put his name here.
I have used the Devcon with good results for my epoxy head.
Thanks
Rudy