Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm so tired of winter

Blog Entries

Default Re: I'm so tired of winter

Although I fully appreciate how you fellows are roughing this spring out and wishing for a break in the weather I still think you've got it made.

For 2 days now we have had warm weather, sunny and high of 47 yesterday and today looks good also. Even with this swing it will be weeks before the ice goes out. I will make a trip this week to an ice free zone but it will involve travel. Our weather could keep warming, it could snow 2 feet tomorrow, or it could just decide to rain.

Rain is the worst case, it will ensure flooding and a poor start to the season. The flood waters of last September and Octobers record setting rains are still locked in the ground and the ice of the rivers. It got so cold so quickly that the flooded rivers froze as they were.

After we had that deep freeze of -38* that started before Halloween and lasted through December, our winter was plagued by a warm trend through January that brought with it ...............yep, rain, and lots of it, which then froze into more ice and on and on........... So you should just be glad that there are still not several feet of ice on your rivers. I am eager to have a shot at some fishing. We are assembling rafts and inflating the pontoons today. The boat is out from its storage spot and ready for a spring oil change and test running also. It's just the darn Ice!

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Tired of winter to be sure! But I guess I have to be glad we don't have your scenario Ard. We keep getting rain/freezing rain/snow every couple days it seems. To top it off, a farmer outside of town had a wall collapse in his manure pit, putting close to a million gallons of manure down into a small creek that flows into my home water and eventually will make it to the south branch of the Root River. DNR does say so far it seems to be not causing problems.....yet. So other than the usual flooding this time of year, all I can do is sit and wait a little longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    Still not looking like spring here. I'm afraid to put away my snow blower.
    Same here. It's still below freezing about 98% of the day on the warm ones. I still have snow covering everything and lows in the teens and highs in the 30's for the week. There is no possible way we are going to have the ice off the lake for fishing opener and the river is going to be colder than ....... something really cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnflyfish View Post
    We keep getting rain/freezing rain/snow every couple days it seems.
    You guys are a lot warmer than we are. You must be down in Minnesota's Banana belt.

We just got about an inch of accumulation in my years this evening. The tulip heads were just ready pop.

But the cold rain in front of the snow didn't stop the March Browns from coming off heavily this afternoon. So it could be worse.

Blog Entries

looks like a late spring for most of us
    i'll take this over a heatwave/drought any day!

casey

ARFE

6. Default Re: I'm so tired of winter

That mans legs have got to be blue by then! I've stepped into ice in a river and was in a lot of pain. Anyway, I'm ready for some nice days as well. May be heading out tomorrow to the Madison. I hear there's a chance for some northern light activity so may check that out after

If the weather guys are not lying again, we will have our first low that is above freezing on Saturday at a balmy 37 F! They have consistantly guessed to warm so I am not holding my breath, but it is the first one even those lying rats have thought was going to be that warm.

I've taken a leap of faith and put the snow blower away and swapped it for my riding lawn mower. It's a sure sign it will snow again!
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

9. Likes Guest1 liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
    It's a sure sign it will snow again!
    Bite your tongue! Speak not of such foul things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12