Beginner fly tyers material list

flytire

Reaction score
fly tying lessons

This list of beginner tying materials is simply a list based on my 30+ years experience in fly tying. The list provided below is for a new tyer who wants to tie trout flies but can spill over to different genres of fly tying. It is a BASIC list. Could other items have appeared on the list? Of course they could but that's somebody elses list. Other tyers will add or subtract materials to their liking. So be it. Remember its a BASIC list of materials. It contains materials the can tie hundreds or even thousands of fly patterns.

This list is in no order of preference. This list is provided for your convenience and in no way requires you to buy all tying materials all at once or any materials for that matter. It is also a generic list of materials as I really don't have any preferences as to what brand of materials you buy.

Eventually you will need materials if you want to continue tying flies. The list may give you a head start as to what you might want to buy

Again, you do not have to buy the entire list all at once!

Buy what you want when you need it!

1. Hooks (in different styles and sizes)
2. Thread (6/0 to start in black & white)
3. Pheasant Tail (center feathers when possible for the longest fibers)
4. Peacock Herl (eye feathers and strung herl)
5. Marabou (blood quills are better)
6. Deer hair
7. Elk hair
8. Buck tail (in different colors like red, yellow, or white)
9. Lead or non-lead wire (in different sizes)
10. Ribbing wire (silver, copper & gold)
11. Rooster Hackle (grizzly, brown, white & dun) A good option is an introduction pack
12. Hen neck or saddle (grizzly, brown, dun etc) (great for soft hackle & wings)
13. Hungarian Partridge Skin (great for soft hackles)
14. Dubbing dispenser of hares ear (various colors) & superfine dubbing for dry flies
15. Gray duck or goose wing feathers (used for wing cases)
16. Head cement
17. Tinsel and other flash materials (in assorted colors)
18. Calf tail (start with white, add colors when necessary)
19. Yarns & chenille (used for making bodies, both in assorted colors)
20. Floss (1 strand or 4 strand in assorted colors)
21. Strung hackle (practice wrapping hackle with this. cheap alternative to the pricey hackles)
22. Beads (not necessary to begin tying flies but if you really need them get them)

Poor quality materials are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them. Buy the best you can.

Another recommendation seen on most forums is to pick out 5-10 that you want to learn how to tie. buy the materials provided in the recipes of those flies. these materials are now the building blocks for tying different fly patterns in the future.

"The vice, bobbin, scissors and materials are fundamental."

for an absolute beginner, what more is really needed? those 4 items will tie hundreds of flies if not more.

Last edited:

jaybo41

Reaction score
This is an excellent post flytire. I was a recipient of a fly tying kit years ago and could not have been happier. It was easily one of the best gifts I've ever received. Now that I'm more experienced, those materials wouldn't be my first choice (probably just the kit I received), but they were good enough to get me hooked on tying that's for sure.

I am generally an advocate of buy the materials as you need them, much as you are. The list you put together would give anyone interested in tying LOTS of options to tie different patterns that's for sure. I don't see any reason to deviate from it, it's very comprehensive and to do so would be like splitting hairs. Somehow I missed that it had already been marked as a sticky, it's certainly worthy.

Nicely done! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I think it's in the sticky section already?
Yes, when I read this thread earlier today I thought it was really well thought out and should be a sticky to help keep it where the membership can find the information easily.

Larry

dean_mt

Reaction score
Nice job, flytire. That is an excellent comprehensive beginners list. One could tie pretty much any pattern that he'd ever need.

2nd the sticky nomination. All in favor...?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Darn good thread! Excellent job!

I'll get a bit more specific for this. The three most common hooks for trout flies are:
Tiemco TMC 100 - Down Eye, 1X Fine, Wide Gape, Forged, Bronze - Dry Flies
Tiemco TMC 3761 - Sproat Bend, Down Eye, 2X Heavy, 1X Long, Forged, Bronze - Nymphs & Wet Flies
Tiemco TMC 5263 - Perfect Bend, Down Eye, 2X Heavy, 3X Long, Forged, Bronze - Nymphs & Streamers

If you want to stock up on hooks, you will need a selection of the models listed above.

Other brands have hooks that are shaped to the same specifications. They just have different model numbers.

Dennis

flytire

Reaction score
tiemco is an excellent choice for hooks but with the quality of today's hooks from the mom & pop distributors, i feel there's no need to tie a new tyer down to specific hook manufacturers. thats why my list above is generic.

i would also recommend barbless hooks but that too becomes a personal preference and that becomes the splitting hairs the list was trying to avoid.

i will add to my list above a style of hook such as dry, nymph and streamer.

Last edited:
L

Liphookedau

What materials Flytyer has listed is pretty well spot on.
There was a similar previous Thread to which Larry & I replied where I mentioned where Kits were a waste of money as lots of the stuff you hardly/never used.
Over many years I've sourced Feathers & Materials as well as hooks from all around The World where I still buy most of my gear.
I mainly used Mustard Tiemco & all the other Top Line Hooks however I've found other Hooks which do The Same Job & are a lot CHEAPER.

Brian

Last edited:

mtaag3

Reaction score
This list of beginner tying materials is simply a list based on my 30+ years experience in fly tying. The list provided below is for a new tyer who wants to tie trout flies but can spill over to different genres of fly tying. It is a BASIC list. Could other items have appeared on the list? of course they could but that's somebody elses list. Other tyers will add or subtract materials to their liking. So be it. Remember its a BASIC list of materials. It contains materials the can tie hundreds or even thousands of fly patterns.

This list is in no order of preference. This list is provided for your convenience and in no way requires you to buy all tying materials all at once or any materials for that matter. It is also a generic list of materials as I really don't have any preferences as to what brand of materials you buy.

Eventually you will need materials if you want to continue tying flies. The list may give you a head start as to what you might want to buy

1. Hooks (in different styles and sizes)
2. Thread (6/0 to start in black & white)
3. Pheasant Tail (center feathers when possible for the longest fibers)
4. Peacock Herl (eye feathers and strung herl)
5. Marabou (blood quills are better)
6. Deer hair
7. Elk hair
8. Buck tail (in different colors like red, yellow, or white)
9. Lead or non-lead wire (in different sizes)
10. Ribbing wire (silver, copper & gold)
11. Rooster Hackle (grizzly, brown, white & dun) A good option is an introduction pack
12. Hen neck or saddle (grizzly, brown, dun etc) (great for soft hackle & wings)
13. Hungarian Partridge Skin (great for soft hackles)
14. Dubbing dispenser of hares ear (various colors)
15. Gray duck or goose wing feathers (used for wing cases)
16. Head cement
17. Tinsel and other flash materials (in assorted colors)
18. Calf tail (start with white, add colors when necessary)
19. Yarns & chenille (used for making bodies, both in assorted colors)
20. Floss (1 strand or 4 strand in assorted colors)
Can you recommend a basic set of tools as well? Thanks

dietspam

Reaction score
Can you recommend a basic set of tools as well? Thanks
Here's a link to a recent thread about that topic.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/f...-looking-get-into-tying-flies.html#post675701

Basically comes down to a good vise, bobbin, scissors, and materials for the fly you want to tie. There are additional tools that are very helpful like a whip finisher, but you can utilize the Search Function to find that stuff. From my personal experience, I'd say Avoid Kits.

bbbruce77

Reaction score
Calf tail is not a material that I would recamend to a beginning tyer or any tyer for that matter. It is a poor choice for any dry fly and for streamer wings something like arctic fox is a better choice. A good place to get a varity of hair materials is a taxidermist as they often have boxes full of scrap pieces left over from different mounts, they have done. The deer hair from the throat area of a Whitetail Buck is the perfect substitute on almost any dry fly pattern calling for calf tail.

FlyFisher23

Reaction score
This is a great list, as a begginer i stuggled with wrapping hackle on my flies, but i realized they wernt the best quality hackle, and they were not the right size.

flytie09

Reaction score
It's an old thread...but Norm knows his stuff. I'm curious why bbbruce doesn't like calf tail for streamer wings. I love the stuff. It's dirt cheap and I can get it anywhere. Not great I admit for dry wings....but that's what calf body hair is for.

hellcat and silver admiral.jpg

sugdenc3

Reaction score
I'm so glad I found this, I've been considering getting in to tying but just wasn't sure where to start. Thanks so much!

Cody

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk