Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook Color / Tone

Blog Entries

Default Hook Color / Tone

I've tied with Mustad hooks my whole life. Recently purchased a couple of hook assortments on line. These are a much brighter tone, almost silvery-bronze than the dull toned Mustads I have always used.

Am kind of apprehensious about tying on them since they seem so bright to me.

Is this something to actually be worried about or am I just not willing to accept something new?
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

Default Re: Hook Color / Tone

If it were me, I'd just tie a few and try them. Nothing to loose you have the hooks already. I would not have thought that the tone would make any difference. However I stand to be corrected if some of you guys know better
    Eddie
    "We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation."
    Voltaire

Blog Entries

Are the hooks for dry flies or wets?

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

The hooks are 1X long wet fly nymph hooks and 3X long streamer hooks.
    I'm currently out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message, and if you would like to reach me by phone, please hang up now.

you shouldn't have any issues. guys been using those gold eagle claw arberdeen hooks for decades and they're still catching fish. don't know why your hooks wouldn't work. Sometimes us fishermen over think things when really fishing should be simple. stop getting wrapped up in what the fish don't care about.

6. Likes fredaevans, bigjim5589 liked this post
    Blog Entries

from the interweb

I don't think fish KNOW what a "hook" is let alone what color it is in the water? Most lures (and colored) hooks are for sportsman to buy not to statify fish!
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/

8. Likes itchmesir, bigjim5589 liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

I tie (Salmon and Steelhead) patterns on gold and silver all the time. The little bit of 'flash' seems to help if the tie has lots of colour in it. A dull/black fly gets a dark hook.
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Some feel that the brighter finish actually "camouflages" the hook's presence by reflecting the environment.

I recall having similar thoughts to yours, initially, after tying on Mustads through the '80s. Since then, I've happily used Tiemco, Daiichi, Gamakatsu and Mustad Signatures,...also Dai Riki (but not so happy). With few model-specific exceptions, they all share that relatively bright finish, differing a bit in color tone. I've not tried any of the rebranded or off-brand hooks (e.g., Allen, Togen, Fly Shop, etc..), but I suspect they are similarly finished.

One thing I liked immediately was that the finish was extremely smooth relative to the variations found on the classic Mustad bronze finish. IME, those old Mustads typically showed some visible corrosion very quickly, and I've always wondered if the less refined finish was a contributor.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by random user View Post
    The hooks are 1X long wet fly nymph hooks and 3X long streamer hooks.
    I wouldn't pay much mind to this brighter finish. I was thinking that if they were an actual color they may have an effect on results but I use everything from Japanned Black to bright nickel hooks on some wets and all goes well. If they were red or the electric blue I've seen on some new hooks I might be hook shy myself.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Thanks for the input... was what I was expecting.

WAH! I don't wanna have to adapt to more change! Things were just fine before! WAH! STOMPSTOMPPOUT! okay, I'm over it.

13. Likes Ard liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast