Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How important is the wing

1. Default How important is the wing

Somtimes when i'm tying adams or mosquito patterns I don't tie in the wing because I don't have a lot of grizzly hackle tips. They still catch fish but is it a big deal not having them? Do the fish see the wings?

Default Re: How important is the wing

This is something I have been experimenting on with all my mayfly dries. I do not think the wings really matter, even on finicky tailwater trout. I do notice that with the wing tips there is more space for more Aquel or Froggs Fanny or whatever you use to help your fly float though.

Randy
    “Fishing for me, as funny as it sounds, is sorta my brand of praying almost. I’m never closer to my spirituality than when I’m in the act of fishing.” - JT Van Zandt

Here's a thread from April with some discussion on the subject. I've caught fish on wingless flies but I do think they can see the profile of the fly above the water. What gets one fish to hit a fly and another to turn away can be hard to parse, one might want the wing and the other sees something that is off.

That said, using grizzly tips on an adams rather than another feather or antron or calf tail, some of it is about following a pattern. Could be that patterns that have stood the test of time are the way they are for a reason, could also be that tradition trumps practicality. I tie flies to fish but I also enjoy working to learn a pattern even if it isn't all necessary.
    - William

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dewbar View Post
    They still catch fish
    you kinda answered your own question

i too think that tying traditional patterns per the established/published recipes is important.

even if its just for learning/mastering the technique of tying and setting hackle tip wings.
    Poor quality materials and tools are destined to discourage beginner tiers and cause greater expense when the time comes to replace them.

Norm

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/