How important is the wing

dewbar

Reaction score
Somtimes when i'm tying adams or mosquito patterns I don't tie in the wing because I don't have a lot of grizzly hackle tips. They still catch fish but is it a big deal not having them? Do the fish see the wings?

trout champ

Reaction score
This is something I have been experimenting on with all my mayfly dries. I do not think the wings really matter, even on finicky tailwater trout. I do notice that with the wing tips there is more space for more Aquel or Froggs Fanny or whatever you use to help your fly float though.

Randy

williamhj

Reaction score
Here's a thread from April with some discussion on the subject. I've caught fish on wingless flies but I do think they can see the profile of the fly above the water. What gets one fish to hit a fly and another to turn away can be hard to parse, one might want the wing and the other sees something that is off.

That said, using grizzly tips on an adams rather than another feather or antron or calf tail, some of it is about following a pattern. Could be that patterns that have stood the test of time are the way they are for a reason, could also be that tradition trumps practicality. I tie flies to fish but I also enjoy working to learn a pattern even if it isn't all necessary.

flytire

Reaction score
They still catch fish
you kinda answered your own question

i too think that tying traditional patterns per the established/published recipes is important.

even if its just for learning/mastering the technique of tying and setting hackle tip wings.